How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius?

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #51  
I have an extra full skidsteer QA attachment blank and would like to fabricate a simple stump bucket by welding a radius bent 1/4 inch plate as in the attached photo below. The fabrication would be simple if I could figure out how to make the bend in the 1/4 plate. I'm estimating it is an 18", maybe 20" radius. Assuming I start with just a flat plate of 1/4" steel, pre cut to size, what is the best way to get the proper radius bend and hold it in place while it gets welded to the back plate?

I have at my disposal a 10ton "jaws of life" gizmo with a 5ton pull back ram. I have ratchet straps (thick ones). I have a 20ton brake press but it is only about 24" wide at the base (HF model) so I don't see that as useful (the bucket length is probably at least 30-36 inches long.

I was thinking that if I could get an initial bend in the plate just by putting the ends on blocks and driving the tractor through the middle, that I could then attach either a come a long or the pull back ram or even ratchet straps and then just continue to bend it to the correct radius by pulling the ends together. Is that nuts? Can anyone tell me the amount of force necessary to put a 18" radius in 1/4" x 36" tapered steel plate? I was thinking I could just weld some temporary hooks to the edges and use those for attachment points for the bending operation and would then just grind them off once I'd welded the thing to the back plate.

How would you suggest I proceed given this work would need to be done in the field rather than in a metal shop?

Hey that's my tractor! With my bucket! LOL :laughing:

My scoop is 5/16" sheet... it was run through a rolling mill and rolled to print. Another option is to use steel pipe and cut out the profile.

Good luck!

IMG_8686.JPG IMG_8673.JPG

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #52  
Another thing, a rounded sided bucket would not have the same prying strength as a straight sided of the same height. It also looks like there is a whole lota prying going on. Save yourself headache and go with the straight sided....the manufacturers that have to uphold a warranty do.

My rounded bucket is plenty strong. Round is always stronger than flat... :cool:

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #53  
Seems like an odd field, where you have access to all of these tools, but not a truck to bring it the plethora of metal shops in the country.

It would literally take me 15 minutes to make that radius with the roller. Another 15 minutes to cut the back plate to fit and 5 to weld the two together. In less than 40 mins you would be 90% finished. Now consider the time wasted doing it "in the field" vs driving to a nearby metal shop.

But hey, maybe you just want the challenge..

:thumbsup:

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #54  
You probably wont like my suggestion, but I know it will work. If you run a bead of weld the lenght of the metal, it will start to curve. Move over about an inch and run another bead and then repeat until you have the curve you want. Start in the middle of the sheet of metal and alternate from each side of the first weld as you work yourself toward the outer edges. Yep, lots of welding and a rough surface when you are thru, but it will work.

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius?
muddstopper said:
You probably wont like my suggestion, but I know it will work. If you run a bead of weld the lenght of the metal, it will start to curve. Move over about an inch and run another bead and then repeat until you have the curve you want. Start in the middle of the sheet of metal and alternate from each side of the first weld as you work yourself toward the outer edges. Yep, lots of welding and a rough surface when you are thru, but it will work.

I would imagine just gas heat applied in a similar fashion would work too and be less messy.

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #56  
   / How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius?
PapaPerk said:
Hey that's my tractor! With my bucket! LOL :laughing:

My scoop is 5/16" sheet... it was run through a rolling mill and rolled to print. Another option is to use steel pipe and cut out the profile.
/>

Thanks for posting the photo. That is wha got me thinking about this project again.

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #58  
I like the saw teeth on some of the commercial made ones and would think those serations would come in handy.

/ How to bend 1/4" plate into 18" radius? #59  
I like the saw teeth on some of the commercial made ones and would think those serations would come in handy.

For the Zombies... :mischievous: