How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But....

/ How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But.... #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
In looking around for a ballast box I'm discovering at least 2 mysterious difficulties:

1) Ballast boxes that are "for" a particular brand of tractor. What's the difference between third party boxes for John Deere and boxes for Kubota, when your tractor isn't either of these? They make it sound like it's more than the paint color but don't say exactly what.

2) Shipping is free for some boxes and costs as much as the box does for others. What's up with this?

You're not basically paying for the weight, overall. Scrap steel is about 4 cents per pound, and boxes seem to run around a dollar per pound.

/ How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But.... #2  
(1) The ballast boxes are not made to fit a brand. They all fit the standard rear three point system.
(2) Every business has the option of shipping included in the price. Pick the one that has the best value for you.
(3) The boxes are made of new steel, not scrap steel. The price includes design, steel, labor to cut pieces, welding, painting, shipping, advertising and other overhead. Try to make your own if you can do a better job at their price.

/ How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But.... #3  
No ballast boxes are truly brand specific that I know of, but companies with large/established model lines who sell ballast boxes (Kubota, Deere, etc) tend to offer boxes that are model-specific in terms of size and usage. When I was shopping around, I saw Kubota had different boxes for BX/B models and L models, the main difference being volume and size (L box taller).

I bought the BX/B box for my L because I found a great deal on it with free shipping and I actually preferred the size. It had stickers on it that showed fill levels (using gravel) for each model tractor, so if I had to guess, I'd say the Kubota-specific part is that someone took the time to do math and give some guidance how to match it to the various tractor models (which to be honest, is something some brands to well and other brands totally neglect). I filled that one to the top with concrete and old tire weights to get a weight appropriate for my L model, and also modified it by putting an a-frame hitch mount inside the box (prior to filling).

/ How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But.... #4  
   / How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But.... #5  
Although ballast boxes are somewhat shorter;a more useful implement on the back will do the same;I.E. a box blade or rear blade.

/ How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But.... #6  
This would seem to be one of the easier projects to make in a home shop. Good excuse to buy a small welder if you don't already have one !

I needed some front ballast on my first tractor....a 22hp Yanmar....because no front loader and did a lot of heavy lifting with a set of forks on the rear. So some scrap angle, welded in a box with plywood sides and filled with rocks did the trick. Made it so it would simply clip on the front bumper for easy on/off.

enhance

/ How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But.... #7  
In looking around for a ballast box I'm discovering at least 2 mysterious difficulties:

1) Ballast boxes that are "for" a particular brand of tractor. What's the difference between third party boxes for John Deere and boxes for Kubota, when your tractor isn't either of these? They make it sound like it's more than the paint color but don't say exactly what.

The beauty of the 3pt hitch on the back of every tractor is that it is the same hitch built to the same standard for every tractor made. Meaning that any implement that will fit one will fit them all.
Don't you wish everything was made with such foresight? You can buy anyone's ballast box - or any other implement - and it will hook up and work withyour tractor.

BTW, instead of a ballast box I bought a small 4 foot wide heavily constructed box blade. It's only slightly larger than a ballast box, weighs a lot, and will do other things as well as providing counterweight. Since more people buy box blades than ballast boxes, they tend to be inexpensive and are common used. Abox blade is already a box - though without a bottom - so it is easy enough to add as much weight to it as you want.
rScotty

/ How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But.... #8  
The trick to buying a ballast box is to buy one shaped like another implement. Like a box blade, or a rear blade, or heck even a brush hog.

Why someone would spend actual money to buy a steel box you can throw weight in, just to have weight on the back of their tractor, is beyond me. Seems like a waste of money. Buy a heavy box blade. At least you'll have something useful hanging on to the back of your tractor.

/ How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But....
[...]
I bought the BX/B box for my L because I found a great deal on it with free shipping and I actually preferred the size. It had stickers on it that showed fill levels (using gravel) for each model tractor, so if I had to guess, I'd say the Kubota-specific part is that someone took the time to do math and give some guidance how to match it to the various tractor models (which to be honest, is something some brands to well and other brands totally neglect).
[...]

Well, consider me educated, everybody. Thank you!

First of all, s219 points out something that is actually of value for matching ballast with a specific brand tractor. The math and guidance does have value. I appreciate there's freedom to buy whatever box from whomever, but the idea of brand-specific boxes isn't automatically just an empty gesture.

Second, shipping is expensive. I'm sure to pay for it one way or the other, as I'm the one paying money, and manufacturers aren't supposed to be charities.

And, third, of course it's not scrap steel. Like prof fate says it's engineered, built, painted, and warranteed. If scrap steel automatically came in the shape to fit 3pt hitches nobody would sell boxes. I know this perfectly well and shouldn't have suggested otherwise.

And I like the Titan box, price, and recommendation -- thanks!

/ How to buy a ballast box - should be simple, right? But.... #10  
Mind if we back up a bit? I'm curious as to why you're looking to buy a ballast box vs. a heavy implement vs. a carryall (or a BigToolRack) vs. something like a Heavy Hitch draw bar/weight bracket.

Not saying there's anything wrong with going the ballast box route, it just seems like very niche implement to me that would seem to the preferable choice for a relatively small number of use cases (at least that I can think of off the top of my head).

The only reason I can think of for there to be any incompatibility of a ballast box with a make/line of tractors would be if the ballast box protrudes forward of the hitch points far enough to potentially start interfering with other parts of the tractor --- though I'm personally not aware of any manufacturer that's currently building ballast boxes with that problem. ..... or the isn't enough ground clearance when it's lifted (which again would be odd to do from an implement manufacturing perspective).