How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk?

/ How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk? #1  

chanwmr

Tractor
NH TC25D
Hi all,

I have a TC25D. After years of experiencing hydrostatic fluid bursting from the front of the radiator and cooler (prior to replacing the hose assembly to eventually fix the issue), the fins are now pretty plugged up with gunk and slime that is sucked in by the fan.
What is the most effective and cost effective way to clean out the fins? What cleaner/solvent should I use? Need the radiator be removed for this task? Is the Radiator Genie any good? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

/ How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk? #2  
The HVAC guys have a wash solution. It must be strongly alkiline. Degreases fins effectively. Spray it on, hose it off.

Get it at the HVAC /plumbing supply. Engine degreaser works too. I like S-C brand.

/ How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk? #3  
Gunk engine cleaner and degreaser will probably work. You may want to hit it with a pressure washer first to get the big chunks out, then the degreaser to get the oily residue off.

/ How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk? #4  
Spray into fins with dawn or degreaser. Let it soak in for a while. Rinse for a long time with a sharp stream of hose water (preferably hot).
Spray straight into fins so you don’t bend them (not at an angle). Run the water until it comes out clean. If its an old dirty radiator, it could take 15 minutes or more to clean.

/ How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk? #5  
We usually use Simple Green, it is non-toxic & pretty environment friendly... works good for us. Also have the Radiator Genie (was given to us) & it works pretty good as it can get in to the tight spots behind the radiator... I don't know that I would have purchased it, but being it was given to us, I have to admit we do use it....

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk? #6  
Big NO! to the pressure washer. It will tear up any radiator!

/ How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk? #7  
Big NO! to the pressure washer. It will tear up any radiator!

As long as it’s a more durable radiator not one with super thin aluminum fins and you use a loose nozzle and spray straight on it’ll be fine.

/ How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk? #8  
I use a degreaser called Oil Eater for my mowers, tractor, and vehicles. That stuff is awesome!
Some radiators will tolerate cleaning with a pressure washer, many will not. I bent over the fins on a radiator years ago and don't use a pressure washer anymore on them. The Radiator Genie type tools are great for hard to reach areas, regular garden hose nozzle for the ones with easier access.

Not appropriate for the op's oil problem, but I routinely use a leaf blower or compressed air on my tractor and mowers to clear out dust and debris before it becomes a packed in mess.

/ How to clean out radiator fins that are clogged with gunk? #9  
I've never had "oily gunk" in the radiator. So - I use my air compressor, set on low. I tried the garden hose. Sometimes this will turn the chaff and dust to a type of gunk. Air compressor works best for me.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT