How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank?

/ How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank?
   / How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank? #13  
I have cleaned out old steel motorcycle, and mower tanks by dropping in a handful of gravel and a few cups of muriatic acid and shaking. Then empty, add a little diesel to coat the freshly cleaned surface. I would imagine that most of your rust problem is at the bottom of the tank, dump in some gravel, bb's, or a few pieces of chain...about a gallon of muriatic acid....strap the tank to the rear of a trailer and drive around in a field for a while.

/ How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank? #14  
A friend of mine restores old cars. He uses a boughten product that he puts in the fuel tank. It eats the rust, dissolves it to be caught by the filter. He says a couple tanks of fuel and it's clean. I'll contact him and see what he uses. You might consult a reliable mechanic or maybe a good Auto Parts Store.

Sounds like this tank has set empty a lot. I have a transfer tank in my pickup bed. I keep it full as much as possible.

/ How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank? #15  
I have done some old rusted motorcycle tanks by rinsing with detergent water and sand. Then "pickling" with muriatic acid and a final rinse. As a final coating to coat the then bright clean metal, I used a product called Creame that I got at local NAPA. On a big tank, all of that will be a royal PIA.

I find the comment about using molasses to be intriguing; is that 10 gallons of molasses to 1 gallon of water, or visa/versa?

prs

/ How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank? #16  
Drop in a small section of chain , about a quart of diesel , put in the loader bucket and move it around .

/ How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank?
All of these ideas sound good, but I don't think I can get all the 'dirty' diesel out. Since there are short (about 3") pipes that extend down into the tank at the fill hole, and there is no drain plug, even if I turn it over, it won't all come out.

The 'shop vac' idea might work, or I could put a pipe on the end of the pump suction that is cut flat instead of tapered and try that, but I still don't think it would get all of the sludge out.

I'm leaning towards a new tank, but they are about $500-$600. Still might be worth it.

/ How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank? #18  
All of these ideas sound good, but I don't think I can get all the 'dirty' diesel out. Since there are short (about 3") pipes that extend down into the tank at the fill hole, and there is no drain plug, even if I turn it over, it won't all come out.

The 'shop vac' idea might work, or I could put a pipe on the end of the pump suction that is cut flat instead of tapered and try that, but I still don't think it would get all of the sludge out.

I'm leaning towards a new tank, but they are about $500-$600. Still might be worth it.

Yeah, I don't think you can either. The only solution I know of would be the chemical route. I tried to call my friend but got his voice mail.

/ How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank? #19  
   / How to clean rust out of a diesel transfer tank? #20  
No one mentioned it but it's common knowledge that you keep the pickup und about an inch or inch and a half off the bottom of the tank. Also, the pickup end is cut on an angle.