How to compost 107 dead hogs

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs
Go to Youtube and read some of the comments. One in particular was priceless...

Now that's some pulled pork!

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #12  
Yes, for hogs especially, the growth/feeding curves don't leave producers much room time wise or space wise. It was a very sad waste.

The death rate amongst slaughterhouse workers last spring / summer was atrocious, and a couple of the plants denied there was even an issue. One plant had managers betting on the death total amongst workers at the plant.

I think that composting beats sending a carcass out for burial in a landfill, but I understand concerns about disease and water table contamination. We no longer have a rendering plant in the area, so the choice is compost or landfill. We prefer to compost when we have the chance, but size of the animal and the time of year make a difference. We lost a horse last spring and couldn't get out (hillsides too slippery for the tractor) to bury or compost the remains so it was landfill time. Mercifully, this is not a common occurrence for us.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / How to compost 107 dead hogs #13  
At the beginning of the video it states they composted 107 pigs due to Covid. It was really a waste, they could have kept them alive a while longer and just had bigger animals to process.
Unfortunately, because of how fast the grow it's not possible. Pigs are processed at 6 months so there were more right behind them that needed that space. This is one of the reasons I really dislike commercial farming.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #14  
Pricy Compost, Just goes to show you Corporations attitudes towards protecting their monopolies in any industry at any cost, I have seen crops grown under contract ploughed back in to the ground hundreds of acres but this is just Insanity.
Today an experiment with Covid I'm assuming healthy Hogs, Tomorrow, Covid Humans when they runout of bone yards or overloaded crematoriums or the homeless the sick the hungry the unemployed the uninsured.
The way to go RENEWABLE RESOURCES, Carbon Neutral will depend on who dose the figures.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #15  
Unfortunately, because of how fast the grow it's not possible. Pigs are processed at 6 months so there were more right behind them that needed that space. This is one of the reasons I really dislike commercial farming.
I know, but that doesn't make it right. That's also one reason I have week old chicks in the incubator, turkeys coming next week and am picking up piglets again next month. It costs more yet I rarely by commercially grown meat.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #16  
My landscape guy hunts wild hogs at nite in Florida. I asked...what do you do with them?

They shoot many, 15-20-25?

He says they can't give them away so they leave them for the coyotes.....which he also hunts.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #17  
My landscape guy hunts wild hogs at nite in Florida. I asked...what do you do with them?

They shoot many, 15-20-25?

He says they can't give them away so they leave them for the coyotes.....which he also hunts.
Coyotes gotta eat, too.

I try to give them away when I shoot them, can't always find takers though and I could never eat them all myself. The boars are nasty once they get over 80-90 pounds, too.

Last edited:
   / How to compost 107 dead hogs #18  
I know, but that doesn't make it right. That's also one reason I have week old chicks in the incubator, turkeys coming next week and am picking up piglets again next month. It costs more yet I rarely by commercially grown meat.
I wasn't defending the process, at all. Like I said, I really don't like commercial farming, on most any respect. We won't buy pork at the store after raising our own and get most of our chicken from a friend that raises birds on pasture. Beef is about all we buy with any regularity, cows get a better life than pigs or chickens.

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #19  
Coyotes gotta eat, too.

I try to give them away when I shoot them, can't always find takers though and I could never eat them all myself. The board are nasty once they get over 80-90 pounds, too.

Wild hogs may one day rule the world!

You shoot 10 on the golf course and 20 more appear the next day.

MoKelly

/ How to compost 107 dead hogs #20  
Thanks. Makes sense - I bet you are correct.

MoKelly
First sentence in the Description:

"Due to COVID-19 closing some processing plants in the Midwest and backing up the hog processing capabilities..."