How to DeMagnatize Stuff ??

/ How to DeMagnatize Stuff ?? #1  

Gordon Gould

Tractor
Kubota L3010DT, Kubota M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G Dozer
I had to bring a hand full of small tools outside to work on the tractor. I thought it would be clever to stick the real little stuff to a good strong magnetic welding clamp so I wouldn't loose things in the snow. But I out-smarted my self as usual. Now I have a couple drill bits where it is almost impossible to clear the chips from. A real pita especially when lining up and starting a hole on a punch mark. Are these now wood bits or is there a way I can demagnetize them ???
Thanks.

gg

/ How to DeMagnatize Stuff ?? #2  
You want a degausser, but you can try an old tape eraser, you can find them cheap.

/ How to DeMagnatize Stuff ?? #3  
I use the one I bought for my screwdrivers, it's just like this. It works pretty good, I'd say about 90-95% effective, which makes it pretty easy to clean off the little bits of metal.

Last edited:
   / How to DeMagnatize Stuff ?? #5  
Heat it, beat it, or AC it.

/ How to DeMagnatize Stuff ?? #6  
If you have a soder gun (the trasformer type) Take a pice of wire and make a coil from it (spring shape) connect it to where the soldering loop should be. Press the trigger, insert the drillbit in the coil and move it in and out several times. It should demagnetize it.

/ How to DeMagnatize Stuff ?? #7  
For drill bits stop by your local Home Depot and pick one of these up.
Husky Precision Magnetizer Demagnetizer-361H - The Home Depot
They are used for magnetizing and demagnetizing screwdrivers but I would expect that anything that will fit through the opening will work. Plus they are dirt cheap.
husky-specialty-screwdrivers-3601h-64_1000.jpg

/ How to DeMagnatize Stuff ??
Thanks for all the helpful info. You guys are great. I had no idea about this stuff and read thru it. I tried to disorient the magnetic field in the bits by putting them in the drill press and let it run while I held the same magnetic clamp perpendicular to the bit and ran it up and down the length of the bit. It must have scrambled up the field because they are no longer magnetic. Thank you !!

Next time I am in Home Despot I will look for one of those inexpensive Magnetize/Demagnetize gismos.

gg

/ How to DeMagnatize Stuff ?? #9  
I've heard that dropping magnetized items will demagnetize them. I think that mixes up the magnetic field somehow. Alltho i'm not sure if you'd want to do that with your drill bits. Could try it with a dull one first