How to drain a split pin plug

/ How to drain a split pin plug #1  

SylvainG

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti LK30
Hi, my Kioti LK30 manual says when the tractor is washed, used in rain or snow, that the clutch drain plug should be removed to let water that could have accumulated out. In the picture below, I've highlighted in red that plug. How do you 'remove it'. Just unscrew it like a normal bolt or do you simply just push the pin in (it's below 0C now so if it can be pushed, it seems frozen)? What's the pin for if it's not to push in to drain?

And out of curiosity, I've highlighted in green bolts with their head red. A quick Google search seems to indicate that they were painted red at the manufacture to indicate they were torqued to spec. Is that the case or they're painted red for something else? Like I said, just curious about that one. Just noticed that while looking for the drain plug.

dme00K8.png

Thanks

/ How to drain a split pin plug #2  
So, the bolt with the pin through it (red highlight) is to drain moisture as you stated. DO NOT PUSH THE PIN UP INTO THE BOLT! The pin is to act like a wick (using surface tension) to allow moisture to drip down it.

On my tractor, there is a hole (no bolt) with the pin just hanging there to also act as a wick to drain the moisture. I called the dealer, thinking it was just left over from assembly or prep..... he was the one who explained the "wick" purpose. He had double checked with his lead mechanic and the manufacturer (LS). They all said "do not remove it".

on yours however, you may be able to remove the entire bolt along with the pin.... then replace it when done draining. Before you do, maybe just call the dealer and ask.....

For the green highlighted bolts, most tractor manufacturers paint the drain plugs so that the end user can locate the drains without trial and error..... there may be other bolts close to the drains that should not be loosened. On my LS, all the drain bolts / plugs are painted white. Those 2 bolts "look" like they could be drain plugs.... especially the one under the shaft.

again, check the manual or call a dealer..... hope this helps you out!

/ How to drain a split pin plug
Both makes perfect sense, thank you :)

/ How to drain a split pin plug #4  
Hi, my Kioti LK30 manual says when the tractor is washed, used in rain or snow, that the clutch drain plug should be removed to let water that could have accumulated out. In the picture below, I've highlighted in red that plug. How do you 'remove it'. Just unscrew it like a normal bolt or do you simply just push the pin in (it's below 0C now so if it can be pushed, it seems frozen)? What's the pin for if it's not to push in to drain?

And out of curiosity, I've highlighted in green bolts with their head red. A quick Google search seems to indicate that they were painted red at the manufacture to indicate they were torqued to spec. Is that the case or they're painted red for something else? Like I said, just curious about that one. Just noticed that while looking for the drain plug.

dme00K8.png

Thanks
On my Ford, that pin is a cotter pin splayed out on the back side, but a loose fit in the hole.
To clean the hole just turn the pin back and forth several times.
The hole is a case drain!