How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #1  

tstex

Gold Member
Tractor
1997 Kubota M5400S
Hello to all,

I;ve done some research on this, but thought I would give it a shake w you guys to see if you have the solution.

Have a 2002 22" Dutch Vermont wood burning stove...it's awesome. For the last 10 yrs, I get this haze on the bottom, that has now further up and to the center. I have used cleanser and water w paper towels, but that only gets what was recently put on the glass. The hazy part just seems to get bigger over time.

Is there a real solution, or buy a new glass?

Or, is there a cleaner w a fair amt of elbow grease that works?

Or, do I get a oscillating polisher w very fine polish?

I would appreciate your help on which way to go...I have a polisher and various attachments w polishing pads. Questions?

thank you very much

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #2  
I use white vinegar and a paper towel.

Recent thread, worth the read!

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #3  
Best stuff ever !!
IMG_5195.jpeg

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #4  
I have a bit of haze on my wood stove glass as well, I think it might be from the heat, not sure though. I find the best way to clean the glass is with a slightly wet paper towel and dip it into the fine part of the ashes and then wipe that on the glass and scrub a little. Then wipe it clean with just water on a fresh paper towel. It's cheap, easy to use and does a pretty good job. Then just throw the used towel into the wood stove once it gets burning nicely.

Hope this helps!!

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #5  
I have a bit of haze on my wood stove glass as well, I think it might be from the heat, not sure though. I find the best way to clean the glass is with a slightly wet paper towel and dip it into the fine part of the ashes and then wipe that on the glass and scrub a little. Then wipe it clean with just water on a fresh paper towel. It's cheap, easy to use and does a pretty good job. Then just throw the used towel into the wood stove once it gets burning nicely.

Hope this helps!!
Yes! Exactly what I do! Works great! I usually go after the haze about once a week. Doesn't build up as much and can just be 'wiped' easily.

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #6  
i use some easy off degreaser/ oven cleaner. works great.

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #7  

Hope this helps!!
Exact thing we do. Works great

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #8  
There are two kinds of haze I have found.
The first occurs quickly , like in days and can be easily removed in the ways already mentioned.

The second occurs over the years slowly as the stove ages with time and many fires. I believe it is IN the glass not ON it. Don't think there is anything can be done in this case.

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #9  
New glass may be needed if its too far gone.

When the glass is cold I use a paper towel and water. Seems to work just as well.

/ How to fix a hazed-up wood burning stove pyro-ceramic glass #10  
The second occurs over the years slowly as the stove ages with time and many fires. I believe it is IN the glass not ON it. Don't think there is anything can be done in this case.
Yeah, it's almost like the inside of the glass is etched. Doesn't really bother me. I'll clean it once a year in either the spring or fall. Stove is in use continuously once it gets cold.