How to get gravel out of pipe?

/ How to get gravel out of pipe? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Aren't 3 year olds wonderful?

Vertical pipe, maybe 3/4 inch I.D. sticking 5" out of the ground. 3 yr. old grandson filled it with gravel in the 30 seconds when I wasn't watching. I should have know--he likes to stick rocks into things.

The pipe is kind of important. It's at the airport and holds the hangar door open. A section of rebar is supposed to drop down into the pipe from the hangar door and should sink down at least 10". Doesn't work any more...Can't fly any more until I fix this so the door will stay open to move the plane in and out.

So how to get crushed 3/4 minus gravel out of this pipe?

/ How to get gravel out of pipe? #2  
If the pipe in the ground is thick enough walled, you could probably use a hammer drill to clean it out.

Otherwise, I would cut or break it off, at the slab or ground, drill it out, and replace it.

I am sure you know, lots of bad things can happen to children at airports. Even in 30 seconds.

/ How to get gravel out of pipe? #3  
Drill a hole low in the pipe and try to blast it out with compressed air?
Wear eye protection if this idea seems worth trying.

/ How to get gravel out of pipe? #5  
I was thinking shop vac also, or a set of tongs.

/ How to get gravel out of pipe? #6  
I would try a shopvac. If that doesn't work on its own, adapt it down to a 12" piece of 1/2" OD pipe and use that to suck the pieces out.

Aaron Z

/ How to get gravel out of pipe? #7  
I have cleaned out those pipes with a long flat screwdriver, slow work, but it works.

/ How to get gravel out of pipe? #8  
I would try a shopvac. If that doesn't work on its own, adapt it down to a 12" piece of 1/2" OD pipe and use that to suck the pieces out.

Aaron Z

:thumbsup:

Thats what I would try.

Even if it doesnt "suck-up" the gravel into the shop-vac, a decient one should have enough vacuum to "ctick" the rocks to the end like a magnet. Pull it out, knock them off, and go again.

/ How to get gravel out of pipe? #9  

Aaron Z

Aaron...your suggestion will work ...I have done it..the key is to adapt the shop vac hose down to a 12 inch piece of 1/2" od pvc and it concentrates the sucking action..it will lift the gravel right out if it is a good shop vac.

/ How to get gravel out of pipe? #10