How to know when your parents may not want to drive anymore?

/ How to know when your parents may not want to drive anymore? #11  
In my case they drop little hints...You going to town,lets go for ride etc. etc.

/ How to know when your parents may not want to drive anymore? #12  
I don't think many will "WANT" to give up their independence.

How you take it away will be the challenge.

/ How to know when your parents may not want to drive anymore?
Keep this in mind... If you know that his driving skills are not good anymore, and you let him drive, and he is in an accident, a good lawyer will sue you for knowingly allowing him to drive and causing an accident.

Whoever has the best lawyer will win a case such as this.
We are not at the point yet. No different than driving with my one 16 year old who is stubborn and knows everything.

I'm actually a lot like my father. When he got out of the service, he could put 50,000 miles on his car for the company he worked for (another 20 years) just driving the entire state of Pennsylvania to visit businesses.

I'm sorry, we're we talking about my father? I was talking about my son. But thank you for pointing out the possible legal issues.

/ How to know when your parents may not want to drive anymore? #15  
It was a very tough time for me. Dad's car would have new, unexplained body damage that he wouldn't comment on. Making him lose his independence/driving was very difficult and emotional. I haven't met many that will turn in the keys voluntarily. :(

/ How to know when your parents may not want to drive anymore? #16  
It's a tough thing to watch. It's even harder to have to make the decision for them if they won't do it themselves. My father in-law was driving up until about age 89-90. Anytime they'd go anywhere, his wife would drive (she's 13 years younger than him). About the only places he'd drive himself were down to the Legion or McDonald's. Well, she drove more and more, and he drove less and less. Then one day he just said he didn't think he should be driving anymore. They didn't take his license or keys or car. He just stopped. That was a blessing. He passed away a few months ago from a combination of weak heart and dementia. Good guy. Saved us from having to make the decision for him.
I am 80!
I have noticed that I do make minor mistakes more often now.
Parking while trying to not bump a pole behind, scratching against a bush alongside when parking, etc.
The neck muscles just don't work the way they should anymore.
I find that I need to be extra attentive.

/ How to know when your parents may not want to drive anymore? #17  
Over 75 it should mandatory to take a drivers test each year.

I am 80!
I have noticed that I do make minor mistakes more often now.
Parking while trying to not bump a pole behind, scratching against a bush alongside when parking, etc.
Heck, last year I nailed my brand new company car at the office backing up into a yellow safty pole (for the truck deliveries) and I haven't even hit 60 yet LOL

It was a very tough time for me. Dad's car would have new, unexplained body damage that he wouldn't comment on. Making him lose his independence/driving was very difficult and emotional. I haven't met many that will turn in the keys voluntarily. :(
We let my father park it in the garage (never had a car in there for over 13 years LOL). He's had the car going on 3 years now, no damage, knock on wood.

It's just the little things I'm noticing now.

/ How to know when your parents may not want to drive anymore? #20  
Heck, last year I nailed my brand new company car at the office backing up into a yellow safty pole (for the truck deliveries) and I haven't even hit 60 yet LOL
Yeah..... but I am a retired 747-400 Capt.
Now I am better able to understand why the Fed. Govt. made retirement mandatory at 60 (now changed to age 65 ).