How to make a 12' to 15' light post?

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #21  
I purchased some solar LED 300W street lights to place along my driveway. What I did not think of was how to get a post to mount them to. I saw some Youtube videos where people tried 4x4 posts and they said that a 16' 4x4 stuck 3' into the ground with concrete swayed like the dickens in wind with these lights mounted.

I have tried Amazon and Google to find say 12'-18' steel posts, but my fail has been consistent and enduring.

Do any of you folks have an idea for an affordable and functional street light posts?

The lights I ordered:

300W Solar Street Light, 2 Light Set Motion Sensor Dusk to Dawn 15000LM Solar Lights Outdoor with Remote Control
Since when have you cared about $$$? What about flag poles of some sort?

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #22  
Listing says:

Item Weight​
‎17.96 pounds
Package Dimensions​
‎31 x 16.7 x 6.3 inches

The post is another 20" though>

71cwLmM2GeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Yeah, this is the picture I was looking at.

Street Light.JPG

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #23  
I looked up a few flagpoles yesterday, but the fifteen or twenty foot aluminum ones that looked stable enough for a ten pound lamp head were hundreds of dollars each.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #24  
If you go the fence co. route, try and get CQ-20 or DQ-40 2 3/8" tubing. It has a higher tensile strength; it will spring around in the wind but will always retain its shape. When it does fail, it does it rather spectacularly rather than just bending, but for a light pole I'd bet the light would fail first.
Plus, it's easily weldable so you can scab rems to the bottom to make up depth, or even do a 2.375-1.875 split to save on material costs, depending on how many posts and the height.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #26  
See commercial lamp post at the scrap yard regularly. Four bolt bases. FB marketplace too. Used wood utility poles also. Figure out how your are going to install and service lights at 20’?

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #27  
I'm in north Alabama and most building supply stores carry 20ft poles used for lights or power. Fairly inexpensive as well.

Hal

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #28  
I purchased some solar LED 300W street lights to place along my driveway. What I did not think of was how to get a post to mount them to. I saw some Youtube videos where people tried 4x4 posts and they said that a 16' 4x4 stuck 3' into the ground with concrete swayed like the dickens in wind with these lights mounted.

I have tried Amazon and Google to find say 12'-18' steel posts, but my fail has been consistent and enduring.

Do any of you folks have an idea for an affordable and functional street light posts?

The lights I ordered:

300W Solar Street Light, 2 Light Set Motion Sensor Dusk to Dawn 15000LM Solar Lights Outdoor with Remote Control
Look in your area for any steel sales place. The welding shops have to be buying the steel they use from someone. Another source could be a steel scrap yard

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #29  
I have bought lengths of used 21ft chain link top rail from the local fence contractor (stuff they have removed & replaced) for $3 a piece. I believe it's 1-5/8", and I think would be ideal for a lightweight LED head.

/ How to make a 12' to 15' light post? #30  
I would cut a tree, and make my own utility pole. I have a couple acres of trees on my lot, and I know several of them are straight to 20 ft or more and could be cut, set in a hole with concrete and would last as long as those lights might.