How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #41  
Ummmmmmm, it was May 7th the OP asked. I'm thinking he probabaly got it out by now. COULD be wrong but...... LOL!

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #42  
Here is what I have done. I have found several big trucker straps that fell off a semi and either broke or frayed from dragging. I cut about twelve of them up different lengths and paired them so I would have two the same length. Different sizes. I folded the ends over, (make sure there is enough loop) I just stapled them and took them to my boat canvas repair man and he sewed the loop for me. I have a short chain I use on my bucket and run through the loop. I have used them to wrap around small trees when planting and transporting them, pulled trees out of the ground, move my 55 gal drums around with ease. I have tested them and they will hold more than my tractor will lift. I finally run onto a old Thompson commercial sewing machine and made some for friends. After explaining safe usage (do not lift any people) . They are handy when hauling brush and the bucket is full, just lay one down pile on more brush and wrap it around your bucket. I have a couple with the grabrail hook that I cut long enough that I place the hook on the bottom of my bucket lip and run it underneath and around the back and over the front that hang about a foot down (near end of bucket) (with a loop) then if I want to haul some fence posts of 2x4x8' (brush) (that won't fit inside bucket , I lay two straps (with loops)or chains down on the ground and put my fence posts or lumber on top of the chain and then hook it in the straps. If using straps, I make my loop large enough that a 2x4 will slide through it and just hook the two together and slid a 2x4 through the loops.

Last edited:
   / How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #43  
IMHO the simplest way would be with
the straps quick and easy!

In my 20's could lift 500 lbs no problem
when 42 ordered a troy built tiller 361
lbs picked it up off the back of my pickup
and set it on the ground no problem. Now
that I'm 81 those 94 lb cement bags are a
bit heavy.

All kinds of drum lifters: barrel drum lifting hooks at DuckDuckGo

willy

Last edited:
   / How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #44  
As already pointed out, this thread is several months old and hopefully he got it unloaded. Going forward though, I would have worked it onto a pallet then unloaded it with my forks, or perhaps slid it onto a pallet which was at tailgate level and already on my forks.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #45  
I know this thread's getting pretty bare but I would've similarly wrestled with it as some above and then accidentally tipped it off of the end of the truck bed and spilled it all over the place.

Just being realistic.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #46  
I know this thread's getting pretty bare but I would've similarly wrestled with it as some above and then accidentally tipped it off of the end of the truck bed and spilled it all over the place.

Just being realistic.

And hurt myself in the process.....