How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #32  
I'm sure you've got this taken care of by now?
But i used to just back up to a pile of whatever was handy, sand, compost pile most anything in a pile will work and just shove it off.
I did this for about 10 years delivering hydraulic oil to a certain customer, his idea.
I used the same technique other places too.
Never spilled a drop.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #33  
Folks you make an easy process difficult. Get a choker strap 3’ may be short, but 4’ to 6’ should work great! Strap undef the 1st rib of the barrel (roughly 2/3’s of barrel weight and volume) or below the strap. Choke the barrel and secure the loose end to your loader lift slowly back away from truck and transport to where you need it located. Set it down and remove strap.
Choker straps are readily available or were prior to covid, just a strap with loops on each end.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #34  
Folks you make an easy process difficult. Get a choker strap 3’ may be short, but 4’ to 6’ should work great! Strap undef the 1st rib of the barrel (roughly 2/3’s of barrel weight and volume) or below the strap. Choke the barrel and secure the loose end to your loader lift slowly back away from truck and transport to where you need it located. Set it down and remove strap.
Choker straps are readily available or were prior to covid, just a strap with loops on each end.

It would take at least six feet of strap just to get around the barrell, wouldn't it?

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #35  
When I was a much younger man and "strong like ox" I handled barrels of oil which I delivered to places with no loading dock. I carried a couple of used up car tires which I placed on the ground where the barrel would land. Tipped the barrel on its side and rolled it to the back of the box, climbed down and maneuvered the barrel till it was about to tip off the truck and then guided it down onto the tires which cushioned its descent enough that the barrel was not damaged nor was I in any danger. Once down, I let the barrel tip off the tires and then righted the barrel again. I said I was strong then. My guess is that any workplace safety official that saw it done today would "have a cow right now!!" Having said that, I never had an accident doing that. I would not want to try that today, almost sixty years later!!
Norml, About the same number of years ago, I used the same method to deliver drums of contact cement from the back of a van. Like you, never an accident. I used to handle drums in the warehouse. A fellow could either push the drums up onto the rim to roll them, or one handedly, lean over the drum and pull it forward, up onto it's rim. Once on to the rim, the trick was to roll them one-handedly. A "real pro" could roll two at a time, one with each hand. Today I pay a price for that foolishness. I can't close my right hand into a fist , and periodically have pain throughout the palm of my hand. Up side is - not too many more years to deal with it.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #36  
Take a 1/4" x 2" bend into a < and a > weld a chain on the top part of the <'s. Hook on the each end of drum and pick it up.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #37  
That would be my choice. I got my 2 slings at TSC.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #38  
Take a 1/4" x 2" bend into a < and a > weld a chain on the top part of the <'s. Hook on the each end of drum and pick it up.

Show me!