How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #21  
One thing nobody mentioned, remove your pickup tailgate first. I saw a guy push a large computer cabinet out onto his tailgate. The support cables failed and his tailgate was damaged to the point it had to be replaced.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #22  
When I used to unload full fuel barrels if you can flip it on it's side in your bed, then take a loose tire off the rim if you have one and lay it under tailgate in the area the barrel will land and gently roll off truck. The tire will break the impact and be off the ground to be able to stand it.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #23  
Get some antigrav magclamps like they use in Star Trek. 😇

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #24  
I have a 55 gallon barrel of resin (500 lbs) that I need to get to the ground. I have an L3130 Kibota with a 6’ bucket. Any suggestions as to how to get down with tractor? Miller
Could try a bottle sling knot using 1000 pound test rope secured to bucket. Secure above midpoint of drum and lift minimum. Move truck. Note: Haven't tried this but this knot is impressive.
Another option for barrels

Last edited:
   / How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #25  
When I read about the Tire sggestion, this immediately came to mind.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #26  
Just make sure you record it and post on YouTube so we can see the results (or how not to do it). Just kidding.
Personally, I'd probably put forks on my tractor and lay the forks in the bed and push the barrel onto the forks, tie it down, and lift it off that way.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #27  
   / How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #28  
I always found good HD straps worked well along with forks.

Someone had given me a full tank of old diesel. I was more worried about having it on my truck not probably being allowed to carry that much fuel.

Attachments

• DSC04054.JPG
    DSC04054.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 141
   / How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #30  
Can you tip the barrel over so that it can lie across the width of the truck bed? If so, drive the tractor up to the truck bed, with the lip of the bucket level with the truck bed, and the front of the bucket (which is now the bottom) horizontal. In other words the bucket becomes an extension of the truck bed. Roll the barrel into the bucket, curl the bucket a bit to hold the barrel in place.

If you can't tip it, you might need to use the same idea but with having to man-handle the vertical barrel into the bucket.