How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox.
This project just won't die. I hung the cutter up to install the new stump jumper and blades.

IMG_1150-L.jpg

One blade fits but the hole is too small for the other blade bolt to go through. $578.47 for a steel weldment and one of the bolt holes is too tight. This is not a precision fit. It is a keyed bolt. Make it a little too large instead of a little too small! Bush Hog should find something to do for a living that they are capable of. Manufacturing is not their calling.

IMG_1147-L.jpg

It took more than this, but I had to grind the ID until the bolt would fit the hole. Absurd.

IMG_1148-L.jpg

Finally, two blades hanging.

IMG_1149-L.jpg

Bush Hog has lost a customer over this one. It has been a pathetic experience from beginning to end. My advice if you find yourself in a similar situation is to ignore everything I posted here and sell the POS for scrap iron. Then buy a cutter made by a company that is capable of machine manufacture. Maybe it will run ten years more. I hope so, as I stuffed a grand worth of parts into it. If it does not, there will be no Round Two for it.

Peace. Out. - Lee

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #62  
Dang, that’s really pitiful. But I’m glad you finally got it put back together. Hopefully it will give you good service. But thanks for a great documentation of your project.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #63  
I too appreciate an excellent thread.

Thanks for the kind replies. If it blows up in the field I'll come back and fess up. Otherwise, it is still working.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #65  
Considering the attention to detail you have, I’m sure it’s going to work great. It’s probably better than original.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #66  
Use quality gear oil and change it after a couple hours of use, then every hundred hours or so after that and it should run a long time.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #67  
I've never met someone that changes their cutter gear box oil.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #68  

Usually only if it is leaking, and then you end up putting Cornhead grease in it!
David from jax

When I have done it, I have found water emulsions caused by condensation cycles. I definitely change gearbox oil on any implement stored outdoors. Further, at least with this gearbox, see my pictures that show that there is an area between the output shaft bearings where the oil will not be changed by suctioning out the old oil. From here on, I will turn it on its side and let the oil drain from the hidden cavity.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #70  

I do. Even gear boxes on MMM's get this treatment after several years.