How to retrieve object from gas tank?

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #1  

Ken P

Tractor
Kubota B2410
Folks -

While filling the tank on my Kubota B2410, the plastic tube nozzle thing from the gas can fell off and slipped right into the tank. I tried fishing around a bit to see if I could bring it to the surface but the tank is pretty deep and I couldn't even tell if I was hitting the thing, let alone get it visible above the fuel.

Any ideas on how to get this out? Do I need to try to siphon off the fuel to get the thing visible, or can I run the tractor? I'd really appreciate ideas here - or at least commiseration. Always amazing how fast things can get screwed up, isn't it?

Thanks -

Ken

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank?
OK, so I was figuring I've gotta be the only idiot to ever do this, but lo and behold there's a thread going on right now on this.

The local Ace hardware has one of those grabber things, so we'll see if that can do the job for me.

I made a hooked-end piece of metal, and fished around some more, but I still don't feel the thing.

I guess it's a good excuse to get in some seat time, to run down the fuel a bit. Maybe if I can see down into the tank....

If no one has said it today, or even if they have, this forum is a great place.

Ken

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #3  
I had some thing similar happen. I drained my tank and had some real long handled needle nose plyers that I grabbed the object with. The handles are about one foot long. It will depend on the shape and location of your fuel tank. One of those telescoping mirrors might help also.

Harbor Frieght has a similar plier. 16" Long Reach Pliers Set

HF Mirror: Telescoping Mirror

On a side note, when I first got my used tractor, I found one of those red shop rags in the fuel tank when I was going through everything. I guess the previous owner at some point used the rag as a fuel cap. Good luck.

Last edited:
   / How to retrieve object from gas tank? #4  
Ken - I did the exact same thing on my tractor, and agonized over it for a while, but couldn't figure a way to get it out. After thinking about it for a while I came to the realization that the cap can't get into the fuel line, and I imagine it would be about impossible for it to get into a position where it would actually block the fuel outlet on the tank. I'd forgotten about it until I read your post, and I've been running it for several months now without any problems. I wouldn't worry about it.....

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #5  
I had a co-worker do a similar thing, but it was a much smaller cap. Maybe from dry gas, or stabil, gumout etc. He tried and tried to remove it to, no avail. He took the same style cap from another bottle of the same product and did a test: It would sink in a glass of gasoline, but float in a glass of water! I told him to drain the tank of gas and fill it with water, to float it out. Of course a through draining and drying routine would have to follow. Might be an option, if a similar nozzle will float! On the "plier" scene, I had a need to tear down an out-board lower unit and needed a long needle nose to grab a internal snap-ring. Any thing I found that would be long enough wouldn't work because as I opened the pliers, I would bump against the rim of the housing. These finally did it!! PLIERS > Double X™ > | GearWrench™

Oh, no he didn't fill the tank with water, I think his dealer was able to get it out, on his next service visit! Good Luck! ~Scotty

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #6  
I've fished some pieces of plastic that I stupidly got into the tank and also fished out 2 globs of wax blocking the outlet line from the tank. Had to siphon the contents to be able to see the objects first. They use a flexible "grabber" tool that you can buy at most auto supply stores or maybe even Walmart. It's flexible with a push button on the end that caused 3 little fingers to separate at the end of the flex line. Very handy to have around.

As far as the plastic objects go, you can just leave them until you run the level down. That's what I did for them. To remove the wax globs, I had to fully siphon the tank to see them.

Ralph

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #8  
Mangonos- I was ready to go, but a $3- tool, w/ $8- shipping,, just 'soured' me......! It's neat, and 'down the road' I'll be sorry I didn't buy it, but "Nah" at this point ~S

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank?
Thanks all. I picked up one of those flexible grabber tools this afternoon, might try a few blind grabs with it, but otherwise I plan to just let the fuel level run down over the next few months, then try to grab the tube when I can see it. I'll run by HF in a few days also, get one of those long reach pliers, seems like a handy tool to have.

I also really, really appreciate feeling less moronic.

Ken

/ How to retrieve object from gas tank? #10  
Auto parts stores also have an extendable mirror that and those grabbers oughta get it.