How to run a Diesel Engine

/ How to run a Diesel Engine #11  
Just picked up a new Kioti CX2510. 24.5hp diesel engine. Never owned a diesel so i need to learn. How do these engines like to be run?
The book says when cold, after the glow plug light goes off, start and let idle at low RPM for a few minutes to warm up. This i understand.
What i need to know is when running and using do these tractors like to be left running or is turning on and off ok? I see to use the rear PTO it must be at the red mark [2600 rpm] so should i always run at this mark or is running at higher or lower rpm's ok when driving? If i am on and off, is letting it idle ok or should it be left at a higher idle? I know proper use will help an engine last longer. I understand gas engines very well so if i should treat it the same as i would a gas engine then i am good to go. Thanks.

On our old 240D Benz, it liked to be run full throttle, and you had to do it with it because it had only 65 hp.

I ran the JD 4010 (like a 2019E if one were made today) at its approximately 3,000 rpm for 540 PTO speed because I needed all of its 18.5 hp.

On both the 1025R and the 2025R with their excessive 24.5 hp, I ran them at 2,500 rpm for PTO work and 2,000 rpm for general FEL work. For digging in soft dirt with the FEL, I'd run rpms up to around 3,500 rpm near max for them.

You mainly want get up onto the relatively flat torque "curve" for your diesel engine. For our VW TDI when we had it for nearly 7 years, it was 1,500-5,000 rpm. NEVER wanted to let it drop below 1,500 because of torque curve from the turbo.

Ralph

/ How to run a Diesel Engine #12  
Oh, on all our diesels, 7 of them, they were started and run. Not full throttle until warmup but enough to do most work, locomotion. Don't just let them sit and warmup.

The Isuzu diesel generator driver is always started and made to run at full speed immediately. Of course, "full speed" on it is probably "fast idle" to JD, which is about 1,600ish rpm, which is where the 1025R idled at.

Ralph

/ How to run a Diesel Engine #13  
When I fire up my tractor I let it idle for about a minute to get the engine oils circulated. Then I bump up the throttle in small steps. Back out of the garage and take it easy until at normal operating temps. I also cycle the FEL a couple times while heading to work location to help circulate the fluids. I don't need to operate tractor below 30* so it only takes about 5-6 minutes for engine to be at normal operating temp - hydraulics maybe about 10 minutes. Once warmed up it's time to roll.

Read manual, keep an eye on all fluid levels, perform all PM work as listed in maintenance schedule at a minimum. Tractor will usually outlast you.

/ How to run a Diesel Engine #14  
And when you put the PTO in gear, slow the rpm down first. After it is in gear, bring the rpm's up to operating speed. Putting it in gear at full speed will shear pins and can do damage.

/ How to run a Diesel Engine #15  
OP has a good question which I remember pondering as well. I've only owned one diesel engine (my current tractor) but in the years I've owned it, the biggest factor in how it operates at start is simply the ambient temperature.

We rarely have super cold weather but when we do, it takes more time for the engine come up to operating temp and MUCH more time for the hydro fluid to loosen up. My rule of thumb for cold temps: don't work hard or rev over 50% PTO speed till the temp gauge starts moving.

On the other hand when it's 80/90/100+ outside, I can fire up and start working almost immediately. Bottom line, though, I suspect each machine is a little different. You'll learn the quirks of yours pretty soon!

I turn off and on frequently in warm weather; leave running in cold.

/ How to run a Diesel Engine #16  
Lots of good advice here!

/ How to run a Diesel Engine #17  
Not true on older mechanical hour meter/tachs. If rated at 2600 but idles at 1300 would run 2 hours to show 1 on hour meter.

Cool, mine is 'mechanical' (it has the old style digit wheels). That's something I'll look for next time I let it idle for 20 minutes because it's 0F.

/ How to run a Diesel Engine #18  
Not many cable-driven tachs since 2000.

My ZTR has a digital hour meter that only counts hours the blades are engaged.

Apples, oranges, and grapes, so ...

/ How to run a Diesel Engine #20  
I tend to go against the grain, 10 seconds in you already had full oil pressure for 9 seconds. warm up is a joke for me, at 15f, i changed the fluid in my hst/hydro, the tractor ran 45 minutes at 1500rpm and the fluid was cold when i drained it.

my tractor won't even show heat on the coolant for 15 minutes working it in cold weather. idling would be a total waste. I also don't floor off the start, just be logical, it should make sense of what works or doesn't.