How to seal red cedar

/ How to seal red cedar #11  
Unless Ea Red Cedar is a whole lot different than the Western variety - the wood must be sealed.

Otherwise - the oils in this beautiful wood will oxidize and the wood will look "telephone pole grey".

You DO NOT necessarily HAVE to obscure the grain and color - just use the correct product to seal the wood.

I speak with forty plus years of experience with a Western cedar timber house.

Last edited:
   / How to seal red cedar
Painting,staining,waxing,oiling,coloring and otheriwse obscuring grain and color of Eastern Red Cedar make's as much sense as Scotchgard on tailor made wool Italian blazers. OP live's in and fell tree in Kentucky so it must be an Eastern Red Cedar aka Juniperus virginiana which is among the most beautiful wood in N. America.
One of the limbs will be sliced to uniform thickness and made into four sets of coasters for family. For this purpose the wood must be sealed to protect it from moisture. I do want the grain to show so I guess I will do a bunch of experimenting.

The wood also gives off that great cedar smell and some parts will be dried and used in closets to protect clothing from moths.

Son-in-law and brother-in-law have larger thicker logs they have plans for. SIL intends to make a table. BIL wanted a short log that had many, many knuckles from numerous branches, all he will say it that he has a vision.

Wife is still ticked off at me for using the chainsaw with an injured shoulder.

RSKY

/ How to seal red cedar #13  
The two spare bedrooms are closed up all the time except when I go in. The rooms still smell of cedar after forty years. Folks who come to the house comment on the smell of cedar.

Every ten years I have a three day project. I rub a clear cabinet oil into all the walls throughout the entire house. This is definitely a late fall project. This oil is specifically made for cedar. With cathedral ceilings throughout the house - this can be an exciting project.

/ How to seal red cedar #14  
My comment was with reference to;
The very best product and what I finally ended up using - InWood semi gloss oil stain. It soaks deep into the cedar, protects it, looks nice and does not have any of the previously mentioned negatives.

I would suggest some "flavor" of oil stain. It comes in many colors - natural, red wood, oak, cedar, etc, etc. Let the oil stain dry for a couple months and then try a varnish product.
I acknowledged the need for and suggested clear coats earlier.

/ How to seal red cedar #15  
Try a 60/40 solution of linseed oil and turpentine......works well.