How to sharpen Brush mower Blades?

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #11  
The way we lazy guys approach this is to lift the mower on to its side with our FEL and remove the blades. Then we lock the blades into a vise to grind it down with a 9" angle grinder. Everything is done at waist level to qualify as completely lazy. When reinstalling, use lost of anti-seize and new cotter keys to make the next time even easier.

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades?
Well I just checked... It is 3/16" at the "TIP" (about 1/4" from the end of the blade) and about 1/16 from there on.

NOW why would it be like that on the tip of the blade? You would think the 1/16" would travel the cutting edge.

By the way this is a Kodiak 72" cutter if that matters.

About this mower... It seems I should have no problem at all keeping the blades on the mower and the mower on the tractor to sharpen them. I say that because I have a opening at the PTO (front?) and a opening in the back (the back opening is half the size of the front). Seems to be all kinds of room.

Oh... scott_vt. LOVE the tractor! The wife, who cares??? Its mine you understand mine! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #13  
Mine are now blunt. Barely any different that a squared off 1/2" thick weed wacker that won't cut but rather beat the material into submission. The tips are worse as they seem to do the cutting, wwhen I say worse I mean the actual tips have an inch or so radius horizontally.

I have even thought about welding on a new edge instead of grinding off a bunch of blade material to make an edge out of the stock blade.

I guess what I am saying is that your blades can get much worse than 3/16 and still cut a pretty nice field. And that there is a point where removing more material to sharpen them might not be wise.

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #14  
Hi Steve,
I was wondering when you were gonna read between the lines on that question /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I thought you would eventually find the humor there /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

scotty

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi Steve,
I was wondering when you were gonna read between the lines on that question /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I thought you would eventually find the humor there /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

scotty )</font>

Oh I did right away, I thought I posted my reply before I did. BUT after reading all the post again I saw that I didn't.

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #16  
We use the FEL and a chain to flip the rotary cutter upside down. We then dig out the small angle grinder and sharpen the blades right on the deck. Why take them off if you don't have to?

If you use this method, once you put the deck right side up be sure to check the gear oil level to be sure that you haven't lost any while the deck was inverted.

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #17  
In 22 years of use I have never taken my blades off the Bush Hog. I lift it as high as it will go with the 3 pt hitch and then from the highest point in the back I use my Dremel tool with the grinding stone attachment to sharpen it. I put safety glasses on because you are at about the same height when you are kneeling down as the blade and I never get under the Hog. Only do it from the side and it does a good job of getting the blades sharp without a lot of hassle.

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #18  
Angle grinder.

I don't get them razor sharp either. Like Highbeam said, they don't cut the grass, they beat it. I know an older gentleman who has farmed for many years, who calls a brush hog a "brush beater".

Thanks for the replies everyone... I guess I better get a grinder. Um why don't I have one? I know I have needed one 100x or more.

What amps are you guys using with your 4 1/2" or 5"grinders? The biggest amps I have found is around 10amps for $90, it seems 7 amps is average for around $40 or so. Keep in mind, I am sure I will use this grinder for more then just sharpening blades, so what amps should I go with (I know allot has to do with how thick the steel I could cut/grind and so on)

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #20  
I've got a 6.9 amp Hitachi, and consider it inadequate to the task. Takes too long, and I can't get a consistent bevel with it. I'm shopping for a reasonably priced 9 inch, probably in the 12 to 13 amp range.

//greg//