How to sharpen Brush mower Blades?

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the replies everyone... I guess I better get a grinder. Um why don't I have one? I know I have needed one 100x or more.

What amps are you guys using with your 4 1/2" or 5"grinders? The biggest amps I have found is around 10amps for $90, it seems 7 amps is average for around $40 or so. Keep in mind, I am sure I will use this grinder for more then just sharpening blades, so what amps should I go with (I know allot has to do with how thick the steel I could cut/grind and so on) )</font>I have a couple of Milwaukee's. I would have to look but I think they are both 5.5 amps. Milwaukee makes a 11 amp and a couple of 12 amp models as well. I keep a wire wheel on one and a grinder on the other. I had one for a number of years when I got tired of changing out the brush for a wheel. I was looking at the Dewault, Hitachi, etc. but the Milwaukee still felt the best in my hands for the price.

By the way, I too use the grinder to dress my blades.

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #22  
I've got 2 chinese 4.5" grinders.. one is 11 ys old, and beat up.. but works.. other is 6ys old and works fine. not sure of amps.. but one grinder cost 9$.. other cost 14$.. so you don't have to spend 90$ if you don't want to.. etc..

Soundguy

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #23  
Hi Soundguy,
One problem with those chinese grinders is that some of them wont take any kind of serious side load on the bearings without failing. Im a volunteer fireman with our local FD and we bought a cheapo from Harbor Freight some time ago. We were cutting one of the hose dividers out in the hose bed. By the time we finished the grinder sounded like a cement mixer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Im sure for sharpening blades it would be fine, but I did find out the ddifference between my Dewalt and a chinese.

scotty

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades?
When it comes to any tool I really like spending the extra money (in this case it is allot extra) to have that extra chance it will work when I need it.

This is the one I was looking at, DeWalt 4-1/2 Small Angle Grinder Kit At Lowes...

www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=58972-70-D28402K&lpage=none

If anything I am sucker for cases that hold your tool /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Also the so called "Quick-Change" is always a plus with me when it comes to a tool that needs things taken on and off.

So I guess the next thing is, is the 4 1/2 a good size to go with? Most people here have said that is what they were using, but then some even use bigger. Myself, I think a 4 1/2 will be fine for me, after all I really haven't missed that I don't even have a grinder at all.

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #25  
Hi Steve,
Thats the ticket right there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Im a sucker for those cases also /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I always call mine a 5" but I guess not! I have had mine for the last few years and have had real good luck with it. Along with grinding blades, I also like to work on and restore old tractors, and I have put that thing through its paces many a day. Believe it or not, thats what I payed for mine about 5 years ago /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #26  
I bought a cheap 4.5" at walmart. This has been very good for me and really it has lasted quite a long time after it has earned it's keep. I use the grinder hard to cut off bolts and clean welds. Been through a dozen or so wheels. I've even used it to make an 18" cut through 1/2" plate since my chop saw wouldn't do it and I have no torch yet.

My vote is for buying the cheapest 4.5" you can find and I think you will be amazed at how much material it will remove. If I needed a 9" grinder then it would also be a cheap one. Power tools are a funny thing. I am not a professional and don't need to spend 2-10x as much for a supposedly superior piece. Now hand tools will last forever so they are pro grade for me.

The problem with the grinders larger than 4.5" is that the units get real big and hard to fit into small places like the space between the mower deck and the hog blades.

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One problem with those chinese grinders is that some of them wont take any kind of serious side load on the bearings without failing )</font>

As far as i know.. with a cutoff wheel.. you shouldn't be using the disc in a side load operation anyway.. as the disc may self destruct. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Now for a regular surfacing wheel, using only the bottom surface of the wheel, as intended.. a 'side' load on the bearings is the only whay is should be cutting.. So.. I'd say you got a lemon... Mine have been used and abused in every way I can imagine.. still on same brushes and still run fine..

Soundguy

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #28  
As far as i know.. with a cutoff wheel.. you shouldn't be using the disc in a side load operation anyway.. as the disc may self destruct.
Soundguy,
I wont disagree with that advice, but at the time it seemed that tool was the only one that would do the job.

On the other hand, I have used my Dewalt to grind of protruding bolts with the side of the wheel with no ill effects. It is quite possible that we did get a lemon, but after having that happen I decided on paying a few extra bucks for the better machine.

One side note, I am commonly refered to by some of my Vt neighbors as Treebark. That was the name given me by one of my buddies, mostly because Im a little on the tight side /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Occasionally I do open my wallet /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( mostly because Im a little on the tight side Occasionally I do open my wallet )</font>

I hear ya.. I'm a tad squeaky myself /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have used my Dewalt to grind of protruding bolts with the side of the wheel with no ill effects )</font>

Using the regular 'thick' surfacing wheel.. I'd call that normal.. but with those super thin cutoff wheels.. I'd se that as asking for trouble... wouldn't take mutch to make a 'waist' as a concentric ring between the edge of the wheel and the center, and have it completely come off.. like a frisbee at 10,000 rpm.

I've seen an abrasive wheel explod on a guy cutting with it, and tilting the cutter a tad side loading it.. a chunk of the wheel penetrated his blue-jean coverals and left a nice mark as well as knocking him over!

Soundguy

/ How to sharpen Brush mower Blades? #30  
Best reason for a small one is you're lying down sideways under a deck on jack stands (or some such) reaching out, and you don't want a heavy tool. I use a Makita cheapie with a plastic housing and a Porter Cable with a metal housing and I prefer the Makita as it's lighter. They both make a lot of noise and sparks, and I like to use the chainsaw helmet with the ears and face shield, works pretty good. Takes 3-5 minutes max.
Jim