How to spend your legacy?

/ How to spend your legacy? #211  
Just throwing this out there:

Many people sign “DNR’s”.
Is it morally reprehensible to sign a dementia DNR, where one would sign over a document to permit euthanasia in the event that the individual can no longer feed themself, bedridden and cannot recognize any relatives anymore for a given period of time say a year??

Keep in mind, you sign this before there’s any sign of mental impairment.

Asking for a friend……
My father in-law had a DNR wristband. He also had a pacemaker. When he was on his last day, they found out it wasn't just a pacemaker, but also a defibrillator. He wasn't supposed to have that. Just a pacemaker. It kept shocking his heart back even though he had probably died the night before. Either way, we had to shut if off with a magnet on his chest. It took a couple hours.

/ How to spend your legacy? #212  
I don’t agree that there is moral equivalence in justifying abortion with assisted suicide or vice versa.

To me they are both morally reprehensible. I support life from conception to natural death. It‘s understandable why others don’t see it the same way. This discussion took a healthy turn to air some concerns about dementia and its effects on family. Going into a full blown Abortion vs Euthanasia discussion is way beyond TBN political guidelines. I hope we can keep this discussion healthy.

What would be a natural death? Most end of life patients would die years before they do if nature was left to sort itself out. Keeping someone around in a vegetative state in a facility that mostly only exists to take their last dollar doesn’t seem very natural. Canada has received a lot of hate for implementing the idea but people should have options to die that aren’t slow and painful as well as exorbitantly expensive.

/ How to spend your legacy? #213  
Just throwing this out there:

Many people sign “DNR’s”.
Is it morally reprehensible to sign a dementia DNR, where one would sign over a document to permit euthanasia in the event that the individual can no longer feed themself, bedridden and cannot recognize any relatives anymore for a given period of time say a year??

Keep in mind, you sign this before there’s any sign of mental impairment.

Asking for a friend……
I support that.

My only caveat might be the time period you posted. A year is a long time to be in a vegetative state.

/ How to spend your legacy? #214  
Dudley - I think that your gift to the local Sherifs office is a most kind gesture. In my case I would split it between the local Salvation Army and the ASPCA. Both organizations are doing wonderful jobs in our area.

Needy people - needy animals - - that's the way I would go.

/ How to spend your legacy? #215  
When life gets over . It is over forever,no need for pain . Kevin .

/ How to spend your legacy? #216  
My father in-law had a DNR wristband. He also had a pacemaker. When he was on his last day, they found out it wasn't just a pacemaker, but also a defibrillator. He wasn't supposed to have that. Just a pacemaker. It kept shocking his heart back even though he had probably died the night before. Either way, we had to shut if off with a magnet on his chest. It took a couple hours.
My dad had same, but he knew he had both. When they shut his off, I freaked out and attacked the guy that did it. He left. He returned after I was calmed down. It was a bad scene and I regret it. Just didn’t want to see my dear ol dad go.

/ How to spend your legacy? #217  
It’s good that things worked out and you got some good time with your mom.

Both of my parents have passed on and both lived long and died peacefully. Just had an uncle recently pass peacefully at 106. My prayers are that everyone could go peacefully and naturally at their appointed time, including me.
Amen brother.

/ How to spend your legacy? #218  
A lot of hard decisions and none the easier when under the stress of a serious illness or the grief that comes from seeing someone close to us go through what may be their final illness.

I really believe that having instructions in advance takes a great burden off the person having to make these decisions.

Sometimes the choices we have to make are like trying to pick the least worst option.

/ How to spend your legacy? #219  
What would be a natural death?

Ecclesiastes 3:1-6 NASB1995

There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven— A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance. A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing. A time to search and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep and a time to throw away.
NASB1995: New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995

We all have a time to be born and an appointed time to die.

Last edited:
   / How to spend your legacy? #220  
Dementia is terrible disease. Patients have good days and bad ones. It is toddler in reverse. With babies you track the new things they can do. Dementia causes you to see the things they use to do and may not be able to complete in the future. Patients are easily confused and become angry because of confusion