How to spot a Viet recon tractor?

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #41  
California said:
I think 100% of them will have the fuel tank painted black. When there were a lot of Yanmars on Ebay this was a good first-glance indicator.

The OEM radiator hose has an outer braid. I've seen rebuilts with the top hose wrapped with electrical tape then painted to a glossy finish.

QUOTE]

I have an old 1500D that is really uh, aged, paint is sun-baked to a very rough flat red with old dried, wrinkled Yanmar 1500D decals along with originally a black fuel tank. I just recently replaced the old fossilized OEM braided/taped hoses and the pin-holed tank with an opaque white one. The owner I purchased it from 6 months ago had owned it for the last 10 years after purchasing it from a Sacramento farmer who had it for several years. If this is a VN rebuild, I will gladly take another one please, this thing runs and operates like a new tractor, this thing is really mechanically very tight, just left outside for the last 12 or 15 years. This tractor has been here (USA) for at least 12 years, maybe more, was there a VN recon market back then?
I think your VN "signs" are not too reliable as I would be surprised if this one is a VN recon, considering its long USA history.
If anything IMHO I think the taped, braided hoses are Yanmar OEM and a sign the tractor has possibly NOT been rebuilt or at least re-hosed. And anybody can rattle can a tank black.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #42  
YM1500D DUDE said:
I would be surprised if this one is a VN recon, considering its long USA history.
Sounds like you got a keeper!

I wonder now if that black tank was OEM on those models. I still think if you can see your reflection in a shiny black tank, it's been refurbished somewhere.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #43  
YM1500D DUDE said:
[I have an old 1500D that is really uh, aged, paint is sun-baked to a very rough flat red with old dried, wrinkled Yanmar 1500D decals along with originally a black fuel tank.

Did the tank appear to be painted black or was it black plastic. I have seen many of the original clear/opaque tanks tarnished from years of fuel sitting them. They appear black or brown.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #44  
greatrandini said:
I would like to see in person some of these grade "A" used units.....I would like to see in person some of these grade "A" used units. I would have bougt from EFC but his web site said he did not ship that far and that made sense to me. I would have bought one. All the used units I see are rough except a guy up the road has pretty cherry 2310. I would have bougt it. Any way don't get upset and remember alot of these guys were Yanmaring when u was just a gleem in ur Pa's eye.....

Great,

If you're ever in the neighborhood stop by. Mine is shown here before I got it home and cleaned it up. It wasn't the nicest one on the lot but it did call my name as I walked by. Don't know that is an "A", but at least a "B+". The "roadside vendor" I bought from did nothing more than change the fluids and check for any major problems ( leaking axles, alternators, etc. ), no cosmetics were done on these. I'm not advocating the "roadside vendor" route, but in my particular case, I knew I was too far from any legitimate dealer to return for warranty issues or service. The seller has someone in Japan who hand picks for him and he turns them over pretty quick. I had someone pick mine up for me 2 weeks after these photos were taken and only 2 of the background tractors were left, and mine was in the middle of the row so there were more that were not in the photo. These were in OK, PM me if you ever need directions.

Bruce

Attachments

• yan1web.jpg
    yan1web.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 194
  • yan2web.jpg
    yan2web.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 174
  • yan3bweb.jpg
    yan3bweb.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
   / How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #45  
The thing with the "Grades" of tractors is that there is no set criteria. Is it the exporter that called it a Grade A tractor or the importer or the seller. You have to decide for yourself what grade the tractor is based on the condition of the tractor vs the price the seller has set. BruceR, I would call your tractor a Grade A.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #46  
I would call it a grade A tractor too...........It is a very nice unit.

Travis

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #47  
This is the one I just got from a dealer for $2700. And I don't know what grade it is but I like it.

Attachments

• PICT0181.JPG
    PICT0181.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 211
   / How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #48  
What kind of dealer did you get it from? Was this a new tractor dealer who took it in on trade or was it a used/grey market dealer. The reason I ask is you got a good deal for $2700 assuming that the tractor is mechanically sound. I noticed a torn seat and the pipe missing from the muffler. While those items are merely cosmetic, most used dealers will take care of those sort of things as they are an easy fix. I am guessing that this tractor was a trade in on a new tractor and the dealer wanted just a little over what he allowed on trade for. I don't think the new dealers don't like greys on their lots. I also think that grey markets sell new tractors. People don't want to shell out big money on a new tractor, they buy a grey, see how useful/fun they are and after a few years they buy a new tractor. Anyone agree?

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #49  
It was a used grey market dealer. He would have put a new muffler on it and any thing I wanted fix but it would have been added to the price.He wanted to put a new seat but that would have been another $69.It still had the mud on it when I got it.

/ How to spot a Viet recon tractor? #50  
Assuming all is right with that tractor, I don't see how he can sell them so low. You got a deal.