How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #201  
Here is another pull around today. We moved the split rails closer together this weekend and there are no turn around signs up also.

View attachment 620720

That one would not bother me. It is when they come 800 feet up the driveway that I don't like.

As someone else mentioned you might want to check that right of way distance. Here it is 30 feet from the center of the road for a dead end street. The county even provides the gravel for that portion. My understanding is that anything other than a mailbox is not to be in that area. Could be a liability.

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #202  
This happened about thirty years ago. Metsker Maps out of Seattle, WA showed my driveway as a - "Unmaintained county road". We have lots of these type roads in this part of the world. Every once in a while a person would knock on the door and say - "this can't be a county road". I agreed. It took two phone calls and three years for the company to change this designation. I guess one of their team of researchers finally made it over my way - checked it out and agreed.

I've even had to pull a couple vehicles out of the neighbors fields. There are a couple small turn outs in my driveway. However - you best not go out beyond the turn out - especially in the spring or late fall. The neighbors fields are VERY soft and your vehicle will end up sitting on its frame.

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #203  
People use my place to turn around so the time. I can't understand why? 1568159458850.jpg

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #204  
On a nice weekend day my folks will get 1 or 2 turn around an hour. 99% turn on the apron to the main road. Once in a while someone will go around the circle.
Least Tern.jpg

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #205  
Install very obvious speed bump or speed hump. From time to time we have had a good bit of people turn around in our drive but they recently built a 10 house subdivision across from us. They have nice wide road with cul de sac and they have become the turn around. Funny thing is I USE it rather often. lol

We have not install the speed hump yet but it is coming for a different reason, water running down our drive from the road. We install shrubbery beds right up to our drive on both sides and had not thought about the effect it had on our drive way being used, but it made our drive look much narrow but did not affect it at all.

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #206  
OP needs to install a lawn sprinkler that is operated by a trip wire under the drive and is pointed at the driver's window. If he wants to be nice he could say a water jet is a pointed at them. Maybe this can be remotely deactivated when the OP is going thru. Jon

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #207  
OP needs to install a lawn sprinkler that is operated by a trip wire under the drive and is pointed at the driver's window. If he wants to be nice he could say a water jet is a pointed at them. Maybe this can be remotely deactivated when the OP is going thru. Jon

I was going to get a motion sensor activated pet sprayer from AMAZON and add skunk scent into the mix.... should keep trespassers out for sure

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #208  
I was going to get a motion sensor activated pet sprayer from AMAZON and add skunk scent into the mix.... should keep trespassers out for sure

Do not forget it is there ! :laughing:

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #209  
The smartphone changed all that, today if someone comes to my door to ask directions, 99.99% would be up to no good.. likely planned on robbing the place if no one answered the door. We had a car on the county road in front of our house recently and only my daughter and grand daughter were home.. Daughter was nervous and went out and asked the woman in the car if she needed help (been there in front of the house on the county road, moving a few feet, stopping, etc for about 20 minutes. My grand daughter plays in the front yard. The woman initially rolled her window up, then down when my daughter approached. Claimed she was looking for an address 1/2 mile down the road. Our address is on the mailbox front and side along with a reflective post that has it. The woman was up to something... she did not go to the house she was asking about.

Perhaps a data point that would help with why my daughter was nervous.. she is a single mom, the dad does NOT have any visitation and is a wacko. She has to be vigilant to protect her daughter.

She shouldn't have approached the car. Just take a picture, make some mental notes, and call the cops about a suspicious vehicle. Stay in the house.

As for addresses, I'm still surprised that most people in my area don't know that even address numbers are on the east and south sides of all roads in this county, odds are west and north sides. All county addresses start at 50,000 at the north and 10,000 at the east. 59100 is 9.1 miles from the north county line. 26100 is 16.1 miles from the east county line. Our east west road are all names, in Alphabetical order from north to south... Adams, Brick, Cleveland, Douglas, Edison.... Our north south roads are all tree names in alphabetical order from east to west.... Ash, Beech, Cedar, Dogwood, Elder... with very few exceptions. Yet several times a week we would get people coming up to our door looking for the people that live across the street, because all of the mailboxes are on our side of the road. Ours is at our driveway. The people across the street's mailbox is across the road from the end of their driveway, which happens to be directly in front of our front door. :laughing:

Some people were never taught. Some people cannot be taught. Some people are clueless. Some people will follow their GPS down a boat ramp into a lake.

/ How to stop cars from turning around in my driveway #210  

Do not forget it is there ! :laughing:

Many years ago a friend of mine got one of those motion activated sprinklers to keep deer out of his garden. I worked very well on the deer. Also worked one time on his mother-in-law! :laughing: