How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely.
That makes sense. I think that will be the way to go. I guess the only reason to use a relay is so a less expensive switch could be used. But keeping it simple appeals to me. Thanks for all the advice.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #12  
That makes sense. I think that will be the way to go. I guess the only reason to use a relay is so a less expensive switch could be used. But keeping it simple appeals to me. Thanks for all the advice.
No. The longer the wire, the more voltage drop you get. Keeping the wire short means more power gets where its suppose to be & less lost heating up the wire. It's also slightly safer as you have a small fuse protecting small wire for the switch. So if that small wire gets broken there isnt much arcing before the fuse blows.

Probably not relevant here, but a relay can be cheaper than the cost difference between a long big power wire & a small wire to run the switch & relay. Copper isnt cheap. Save weight too, which really isnt a tractor issue, but is for other vehicle types.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #13  
Your problem is the pump draws 25 amps. You need 10 gauge wire and a switch rated at 30 amps at 12 volts. As a simple solution. A higher voltage switch will work too, but will cost more. Relay and less rated switch might be cheaper but at the cost of complexity.

If cost is an issue... use 10 gauge wire and a standard household light switch mounted in a box. It will last a few seasons or longer. The switches are at Home depot for $0.39 :2cents:

Piggy back onto that - Put a weatherproof switch cover on it like this one and then drill a small hole in the paddle and run an old school choke cable to somewhere on the sprayer you can reach from the tractor to turn it on and off.

Hubbell-Bell PTC1GY Weatherproof Vertical Box Mount Nonmetallic Toggle Cover, 1-Gang, Gray - Electrical Outlet Boxes - Amazon.com

T'aint purdy but it will work.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #14  
If it were mine... I would actually use relay....

Dale

Attachments

• Pump Relay.jpg
    Pump Relay.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 69
   / How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #15  
I have a sprayer that I made from a 275 gallon tote. It has this 12 volt pump. It will be on my 3 point hitch, have a deep cycle battery. I want to be able to switch it on/off from my tractor seat.
Go with DL's solution, or similar, he's on the money. If your battery is mounted on the sprayer and you charge it up separately, you mount the fuse and relay at the battery /pump unit and run a light gauge cable to a switch on the tractor. If you spend a bit of time up front, you'll reap the rewards in time. So wire it through a plug and socket of some type, install your switch somewhere you like, then all you have to do is drive up, hook up 3pt, plug cable from sprayer onto tractor and drive off, when you get to where you need to spray, you flip the switch you have mounted on the dash or guard etc. If you want to charge the battery as well while you are driving, or run the sprayer directly from the tractor, you need to add a heavier fused supply through the same plug/socket that goes to your battery or to supply the relay. Do it right once........YMMV