How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze?

/ How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze? #1  

Johnkn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX3310
Howdy, last year I had my dealer fill the rear tires on my LX3310. While I don’t normally use my tractor during the winter, this past winter I used my tractor to help a neighbor, it was in the low 20s F (stored in unheated shed). When driving down the street my tractor seemed to be very imbalanced and ‘thumping’ down the road. I only used it once during the winter and zero issues since. I just remembered it and went out and drained a few ounces of fill, it’s almost clear with just the slightest orange tint and has almost no taste. My question, will a standard (Prestone, etc.) auto antifreeze tester work with any (non beet juice) antifreeze mixtures the dealer may have used?

My Kubota runs the upgraded size R4 tires, could they have just been “frozen” and taken a flat-spotted set?

Thank you

Last edited:
   / How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze? #2  
What does your invoice from the dealer say that he filled it with? If it doesn’t say, call and ask him.

Based on your description, it does sound like whatever he put in there froze.

/ How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze?
What does your invoice from the dealer say that he filled it with? If it doesn’t say, call and ask him.
Based on your description, it does sound like whatever he put in there froze.
Unfortunately that doesn't help.

My rear tires are 15x19.5 which I recall may hold ~30 gallons each.

Paperwork shows parts as 12 units @ $6 each and $100 labor with description of " filled tires with methanol and water"

I'd like to test the mix with a tester... I did put ~4 ozs in my freezer to see what happens....

thanks

/ How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze? #4  
I certainly wouldn't taste it! The freezer test sounds good. If it freezes the dealer should refill them properly since you paid.

/ How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze? #5  
   / How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze?
You could also drain enough to get a cheap antifreeze tester filled and actually read the point down to which you are protected. Simple and not expensive.

$3 here at Autozone

That’s what I originally asked above. Those testers are used for radiator glycol mixes, do they work for anything? Methanol/windshield fluid, etc.?

/ How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze? #7  
I had my tires filled with washer fluid good for extreme cold. Not sure which it was, it's been a while. Bought it in 55 gallon drum.

But I noticed if mine sits for a while when cold, the tires feel like they have a small flat spot. Then that gets worked out after I get it going for a bit of work. Not saying your fluid didn't freeze, I don't know what would feel like honestly. It's just a thought...

/ How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze? #8  
Tires do flat spot when they get cold so could have just been that but agree you need to find out what is in those tires for future reference. Windshield washer fluid can be orange in color so possibly that is a similar mix to what is in your tires.

/ How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze? #9  
That’s what I originally asked above. Those testers are used for radiator glycol mixes, do they work for anything? Methanol/windshield fluid, etc.?

No. Each fluid has a different density range and behavior. Alcohol based are lighter than water and the freeze point goes down as the fluid mix gets lighter. (Higher the concentration of the alcohol which is light.) Glycol based are heavier than water and give more freeze protection the heavier they are. CaCl the same. You would need one calibrated for the specific type of fluid. - Or a thermometer and adjustable freezer. ;)

/ How to Test Tire Fill for Freeze? #10  
My understanding is a home freezer should be zero, 0°F. So testing a few ounces left in freezer overnight would be the best test to me.