How to "undercoat" mower deck.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #11  
When I built the deck for my JD F725 I came across some Loctite PC9599 wearing compound on Amazon for $42. I went back later to try and buy another bucket of it and it was listed for over a $200. I see it listed now for $93.29.

It's blue epoxy stuff full of ceramic beads.

It's a pretty grainy finish that I was afraid would gather grass pretty bad but so far stuff seems to fall off of it.
According to Henkel a 6 LB bucket doesn't go very far. Otherwise looks great.

TYPICAL PROPERTIES OF UNCURED MATERIAL
Coverage:
0.2 m²@6 mm thick/2.5 kg
2.3 ft²@0.25 inch thick/6 lb)

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #12  
My nephew and I own identical lx188 John Deere lawn tractors. he faithfully cleans and oils his deck every fall. I do absolutely nothing but sharpen blades once in a while and pull out "some" of the dead grass grunge. Both decks are identical and in good shape. And both are 29 years old. This always annoys the nephew!
Not recommending this....just saying.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck.
OP here. Obliged for all the experience. Appears the general consensus is against the attempt to coat the deck. Instead, I will just power wash the under carriage after each mow, and commit to removing it every couple weeks for a better scrape and clean. Thanks again.
David

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #14  
According to Henkel a 6 LB bucket doesn't go very far. Otherwise looks great.

TYPICAL PROPERTIES OF UNCURED MATERIAL
Coverage:
0.2 m²@6 mm thick/2.5 kg
2.3 ft²@0.25 inch thick/6 lb)
Excuse the blurry picture but this is the coverage on a 54" deck. I would have added more if they hadn't gone up so high on the cost when I got it. There was no way to make it smooth and pretty with the supplied amount of hardener. Two 6 lb buckets with extra hardener would have coated the whole thing and made a smoother surface.

deck after coating

deck-after-coating.jpg

Deck Before coating

deck-before-coating.jpg

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #15  
I think it will work very well. Had often thought about a coating or replaceable liner. They need to drop price and offer it in green and orange.
;)

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #16  
I've got 3 years on it. I might pull it off one day and see how it is wearing.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #17  
For future reference, My father has a Hustler X-one, with 400 hours on it.

I just took the blades off two weeks ago, so he could sharpen them. While under there, I of course removed the grass that that had stuck in some places.

To my surprise, the underside of the deck was like band new. Even shinny in some places.

Whatever alloy they use, it's up for the job. There is absolutely no rust. And he does nothing to it.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #18  
Don't know if it will work on mower decks but the 2 part coatings look interesting
check out videos for Never Wet and Ultra Ever Dry

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #19  
Don't know if it will work on mower decks but the 2 part coatings look interesting
check out videos for Never Wet and Ultra Ever Dry
Looks like Rustoleum picked it up. Not sure how durable the coating is but the price is reasonable enough for me to want to try it.
$21.99 for 10-15 square feet? Great if it works!

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #20  
Looks like Rustoleum picked it up. Not sure how durable the coating is but the price is reasonable enough for me to want to try it.
$21.99 for 10-15 square feet? Great if it works!

It appears to be a liquid detractor. Everything the show on the video has something attached to liquid elements whether it'd be paint, mud, water, oil, etc. in order for it to repel stuff.
I guess you'll just have to mow the lawn when it's wet :)