How to "undercoat" mower deck.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #21  
It appears to be a liquid detractor. Everything the show on the video has something attached to liquid elements whether it'd be paint, mud, water, oil, etc. in order for it to repel stuff.
I guess you'll just have to mow the lawn when it's wet :)
Dry grass generally doesn't stick to the deck, it is usually the lush, green wet grass but I am guessing you are just kidding! The cement chute demo looked interesting. My main concern is durability. Not worth it if you have to reapply every couple of weeks. Read reviews, not much to go by as far as longevity.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #22  
The idea behind under coating would be to prevent the sand blasting effect. That is what wears the paint and metal away. Eventually the bare metal becomes thin and rust holes form.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #23  
My dealer recommends just cleaning the deck really well and spraying the underside down liberally with WD40. I am going on 5 years with zero rust

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #24  
I remove the decks from my mowers after the last cut and remove the blades, which are then sharpened. While they are off, I power wash the underside of the deck to remove all caked on grass.

When it dries, I use an old paint brush to liberally coat with used motor oil. Finally, I grease the fittings and install the sharp blades. The engine also gets an oil change and the chassis lubed at that time.

In the spring, everything is ready to go and rust on the deck has not been an issue. Odds are, if you leave that caked on grass mess on thru the winter, that is when most of your rust occurs. I learned that lesson the hard way, with my previous mower, which I serviced each spring and usually flaked off big chunks of rust and deck while scraping the grass off the underside.

I still applied the used oil when I did the service in the spring. Without having the whole winter to dry, a lot more grass would stick to it during the first few cuts. Fall service is definitely the way to go.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #25  
I remove the decks from my mowers after the last cut and remove the blades, which are then sharpened. While they are off, I power wash the underside of the deck to remove all caked on grass.

When it dries, I use an old paint brush to liberally coat with used motor oil. Finally, I grease the fittings and install the sharp blades. The engine also gets an oil change and the chassis lubed at that time.

In the spring, everything is ready to go and rust on the deck has never been an issue. Odds are, if you leave that caked on grass mess on thru the winter, that is when most of your rust occurs. I learned that lesson the hard way, with my previous mower, which I serviced each spring and usually flaked off big chunks of rust and deck while scraping the grass off the underside.

I still applied the used oil when I did the service in the spring. Without having the whole winter to dry, a lot more grass would stick to it during the first few cuts. Fall service is definitely the way to go.
Same here but always new blades. I don't use motor oil, I spray the underside of both ZT's with WD40 in a spray bottle (I buy it in gallons). Never sharpened a blade, always new and of course everything gets greased too. Little tip, pull the spindles apart and remove the inner seal from the bearings so grease can get in them.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #26  
I just pressure wash mine a few times per season and paint it with Fluid Film out of a 1 gallon can after it dries. I do the same just before storing it for the season.
I'm with the others who say that there probably isn't a great "permanent" solution.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #27  
There are some quality products such as rp-342 , fluid film , woolwax , etc, as they actually attack any rust and will not evaporate . Rp-342 is a great product and leaves a waxy dry surface .You can research these products on you tube , good luck . One thing to remember about new mower decks of this era is the steel may not be the quality of years ago as with US steel . Much of the steel comes from China and enough said about that . I have an old toro wheel horse mower and the deck on that is still in fine condition and all I do is clean it off each fall and store it in a dry place for the winter . I have spread some used motor oil on it for some winters . I have a new zero turn mower and will take extra good care of the deck on it for reasons mentioned above .

Last edited:
   / How to "undercoat" mower deck. #28  

Rust-Oleum 274232 Never Wet Multi Purpose Kit $17.10 price reduced​

willy

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #30  
Instead of starting a new thread, I am going to revive this one. Anyway, after spending quite some time scraping off the accumulated dirt and clumped up grass from under my 50-inch and 54-inch Mower decks. (at least three times a season) I was thinking about trying out this EZ-Slide Graphite coating as sold in Tractor Supply. It says it is a dry film lubricant. I know it will probably wear off just need to reapply every so often. If it helps keep the dirt from sticking, I figure clean-up will be easier. Just wondering if anyone out there has tried this for that purpose and what are your thoughts? Thanks.

your going to waste your time...