How would you suggest to clear this?

/ How would you suggest to clear this? #1  

deltatango

Tractor
NH TC21
uploadfromtaptalk1456349622953.jpg
I have lots of dense shrub between trees that I would like to clear to bare earth. It doesn't look like much now, but in the summer it's so dense you can't see through it.

Can a bush hog handle 1"-2" scrub brush? I've been using the bucket to dig/pry out what I can. It's working but seems like I'm making slow progress.

I've already bought a toothbar to help with the tear out, are there any other attachments I should buy?

/ How would you suggest to clear this? #2  
The tooth bar should take care of most of the brush to 2". Backhoes do well with stumps. Might want to rent the backhoe if available in your area.

/ How would you suggest to clear this?
Good input on the backhoe. I tried stumps with the tractor...that didn't get very far. For now I plan to leave the big trees. So my main enemy is the little stuff.

/ How would you suggest to clear this? #4  
NH TC21: TractorData.com New Holland TC21 tractor information

I cleared a lot of similar jungle in Florida. I used a Kubota B3300SU = 1,900 pounds bare tractor, 33-hp, R4 Industrial Tires/Air.

You are asking a lot from a subcompact 20-hp tractor with 10" of ground clearance.

First off, BE CAREFUL. It is all too easy to topple a light tractor when applying force.

A Ratchet Rake for your bucket, in addition to the Tooth Bar you already have, would be my first suggestion.

Ratchet Rakes are sold by the T-B-N store.

RATCHET RAKE VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ratchet+rake+brush+clearing

After knocking down brush and saplings with the Ratchet Rake, a Rotary Cutter (Bush Hog brand or other brand) will chop up vegetation, killing a fair proportion of the verdure.

I had a 48" King Kutter (brand) [standard weight] Rotary Cutter that was indestructible. You need a fairly heavy R/C by weight as you will often push it into brush in reverse, so the tail wheel and tail wheel mounting take a beating. Light weight R/Cs, made for mowing open pastures, will break.

Consider an Everytfhingattachments.com Rotary Cutter: Everything Attachments Xtreme Duty Compact Brush Cutter Inquire if 17-hp/PTO is enough to spin this beast.

To pull out roots, wild rose corms, Smilax and grape vines under the surface a Field Cultivator is the best implement. The spring protected tines are 3/4" wide so they pull relatively easy. You would have to buy a five tine model then remove one or two tines. You can pull three tines, possibly four tines in moist soil. Read my LINK.

ETA FIELD CULTIVATOR VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R-8ZhFlO5Y

ARCHIVE LINK: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ement-vine-root-removal-woods.html?highlight=

With the Ratchet Rake you can readily pile debris. There will be a lot of debris.

Attachments

• DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • DSC00359.jpg
    DSC00359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 126
  • images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC00361.jpg
    DSC00361.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
NH TC21: TractorData.com New Holland TC21 tractor information

I have cleared quite a lot of similar jungle in Florida. I used a Kubota B3300SU =

You are asking a lot from a subcompact 20-hp tractor with 10" of ground clearance.

First off BE CAREFUL. It is all too easy to topple a light tractor when applying force.

A Ratchet Rake for your bucket, in addition to the Tooth Bar you already have would be my first suggestion.

Ratchet Rakes are sold by the T-B-N stores.

RATCHET RAKE VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ratchet+rake+brush+clearing

After knocking down brush and saplings with the Ratchet Rake a Rotary Cutter (Bush Hog brand or other brand) will chop up vegetation.

I had a 48" King Cutter (brand) Rotary Cutter that was indestructible. You need a fairly heavy R/C by weight as you will often push it into brush in reverse, so the tail when and tail wheel mounting takes a beating. Light weight R/Cs, made for mowing pastures, will break.

To pull out roots, wild rose corms, Smilax and grape vines under the surface a Field Cultivator is the best implement. The tines are 3/4" wide so they pull relatively easy. You would have to buy a five tine model. You would have to remove one or two tines. You can pull three tines in moist soil, possibly four tines.

With the Ratchet Rake you can then pile the debris. There will be a lot of debris.
Jeff, thanks for the input. I was looking at a KK 4ft XB cutter locally . Any suggestions on what I need to look for when buying used?

/ How would you suggest to clear this? #6  
Jeff, thanks for the input. I was looking at a KK 4ft XB cutter locally . Any suggestions on what I need to look for when buying used?

I found my 48" KK R/C abandoned in the bush. Had to put $125 into it (Tail wheel bracket + bracing). Sold it years later for $350. Very well executed by KK.

A heavy tail wheel with heavy industrial strength tail wheel bracing. If you find that heavy tail wheel bracing the balance of the R/C should be in proportion.

Look for oil leaks from the gear box. Look for true blades.

Heavy built R/C's are among the most indestructible of implements. But do you have enough tractor weight and tractor PTO power to operate one? ASK!

eBay LINK: Heavy Equipment Mower Conditioner Attachments | eBay

Last edited:
   / How would you suggest to clear this? #7  
Ditto on ratchet rake, along with brush hog.

/ How would you suggest to clear this? #8  
I would bush hog all I could. I have cut some 3" stuff with mine but I was likely pushing it. Back into things and stop as soon as you catch anything big and let it work. Be ready to pull forward if it doesn't cut. Just keep working at it. You will be pleased with what you can do with a 48" bush hog. Ed

/ How would you suggest to clear this? #9  
I used a 48 HP Yanmar with FEL and a 6 foot bush hog to clear hundreds of sweetgum trees from a thicket. Anything that the tractor could push over, the bush hog would cut and shred. Just have to make sure nothing is underneath your tractor that can get damaged doing this. Backing up into small trees can bend the sheet metal on light/medium duty bush hogs so be careful doing that. Also when traveling forward, you are committed and should not attempt to back up as all the limbs will start pushing up thru the tractor, so keep going forward when pushing over saplings. If there is doubt that you cant ride over them with your tractor, then don't attempt. By bending the trees over, the bush hog blade cut them easily, just ease into the larger ones. You ever use a pocket knife to cut off a limb, just bend it slightly, apply the blade and it cuts right thru, the bush hog does the same thing with a bent over sapling.

I used a 48 HP Yanmar with FEL and a 6 foot bush hog to clear hundreds of sweetgum trees from a thicket. Anything that the tractor could push over, the bush hog would cut and shred. Just have to make sure nothing is underneath your tractor that can get damaged doing this. Backing up into small trees can bend the sheet metal on light/medium duty bush hogs so be careful doing that. Also when traveling forward, you are committed and should not attempt to back up as all the limbs will start pushing up thru the tractor, so keep going forward when pushing over saplings. If there is doubt that you cant ride over them with your tractor, then don't attempt. By bending the trees over, the bush hog blade cut them easily, just ease into the larger ones. You ever use a pocket knife to cut off a limb, just bend it slightly, apply the blade and it cuts right thru, the bush hog does the same thing with a bent over sapling.
This is great advice. It makes perfect sense but I never thought about it that way. Thanks for sharing.