HP For Snow Blower

/ HP For Snow Blower
You've really had some rough luck over the past year, I hope it improves. I understand the craziness of being broke, and yet for a little skin every month for the rest of your life you can buy a brand new machine.

It's quite easier to buy a more expensive new machine than it is to save up for a cheaper one. You'll really like the T25, I suspect; I've only played around with one at an open house event, but I was absolutely impressed with it. Add to that, if you check the TYM section, they're very well regarded.
The storm was May 2022. They just finalized my house repairs a couple weeks ago.

Unfortunately, the only reason I can consider a new machine is the amortization is 15 yrs. Making the "what can I squeeze out of my pay consistently for a long time" a consideration.
Even the dealer told me not to take 15 yrs to pay it off LOL.
These days it seems people don't shop for "value" but shop based on what they can squeeze out.
I've never done that before because there's too many variables that can turn things bad over night.

I haven't bought a new vehicle since 1996 and my ex-wife ended up with that :). Honestly. I survive on $300 cars because they have served me VERY well when I get a good one. If I get a bad one I move on to the next and even now when I have to pay for repairs as opposed to doing it myself I don't think I have totaled up, in all my cheap cars, the price of one new car.

All that to say, screw it! I'm getting older, my health is not terrible but limiting, so I will probably go for it.

I have done, and am still doing a lot of "research" on which to buy. I've also looked at Yanmar, $5k cheaper at purchase until you add the same options the T25 comes with and a much nicer looking install. Rear remotes for example. Nicely at the back of the tractor as opposed to bolted on the Yanmar ROPS. Then it's a matter of reputation (T25 over Yanmar) and comfort/accessories.

A friend wisely pointed out if I was getting into a monthly payment I should really buy a new car, but a new car won't do all the things I need a tractor for around home. And a tractor isn't costing what a new car would.

End of life story with whining :)

Last edited:
   / HP For Snow Blower
One more point of reference, I used to run a 64" Woods SB64S blower on a 23 hp Deere 855, which was rated something like 19 hp at PTO. It did just fine in any virgin snow of any depth, but would bog and struggle when I'd get into deep hard-pack the road plows would leave me at the end of the driveway. I got thru just fine by raising the 3-point a bit, and just making two passes to get down to asphalt, but it's worth noting.
Yes. Exactly. And I've considered all that too. Common sense on the capabilities, and some prudent use.
In the OP I wasn't sure if the T25 would even run my current blower well enough to bother putting it on.
Enough people have now related they have done it, or similar.
I wasn't worried about having to use the FEL if required, but it's nice to know I should be able to use my current blower.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
   / HP For Snow Blower
This is the blower in question. The circle and arrow shows the chute wheel (for turning it) but doesn't show one end of it bent down somewhat.

1695508903065.png

On one corner you can see other damage. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't used it since, but by hand I can turn
the auger, and I don't see any damage around the bearings etc. Fingers crossed.
The dent is not as deep as it looks. It's just the shell, not bent down enough to touch anything.

1695509036776.png

And just in case some were wonder about what Tacticalturnip was referring to, here's my poor Foton after the tree landed.

1695509206211.jpeg

1695509252627.png

When it was given to me. The loader is behind it in this pic. It's a 2006 and the little hair-looking things are
still on the tires.
1695509355101.png

/ HP For Snow Blower #14  
You'll miss the cab, but everything else about the TYM will be more user friendly; you're never going to regret the purchase from that perspective. On top of that, you're getting a Yanmar diesel without the premium that comes with joining club Yanmar. Great engine.

Now just keep the damn trees off of it! 😉

/ HP For Snow Blower #15  
I remember using my snowblower on an open operator station tractor. Because of obstacles like the house, barn, cars, shrubs, it seemed like I was always forced to point the damn chute into the wind. Then again, some stormy days it seemed like every direction was in to the wind. :LOL:

I’d come in sometimes looking like a snowman, with a full inch or more of snow and ice stuck to my insulated coveralls and hat. It was amusing the first few times, but the novelty wore off.

The snowblower was a great way to clear a long driveway with a tractor that was too light for pushing a plow in deep snow (eg. Deere 855 or 2-series). But after I confirmed the 3-series did a good job with the plow in nearly any storm, I decided I wouldn’t be using the snowblower anymore.

The snowblower is also better for anyone getting one snow atop another, as we all know your driveway shrinks a bit with each successive plowing, as the berms on either side grow. But here north of Philly, we only get one winter in ten like that, the rest of the time our snows tend to at least mostly melt off between big storms. Also, my plow is FEL-mounted, and overhangs the width of the tractor, so I can always raise and push back berms as needed.

Last edited:
   / HP For Snow Blower #16  
I purchased a brand new Ford 1700 4WD in i982. Used it, with a rear blade, to clear snow on my mile long gravel driveway - mailbox area - yard. The 80's where the years we got some REAL snow around here. Finally, in 1984, I bought a 3-point snow blower. It was called - the Blue Machine. A five foot wide - two stage blower.

It worked great. With the right snow - it would blow the stuff at least 40 feet. With wet, heavy snow - not so great. I would always wait until the early AM to clear the driveway. It would be cold and the snow would be crunchy. It would blow snow a country mile.

There was a down side to using this blower. STIFF neck and shoulders. And it took the better part of four hours to clear the driveway - mailbox area - yard. I would be stiff/sore for two or three days.

The Ford 1700 had 23 PTO hp. It was just the right size for the Blue Machine.

After 27 years I traded the Ford in for a brand new Kubota M6040. Bigger tractor - MUCH heavier. Can clear any snow we might get with just a HD rear blade. Made my neck/shoulders very happy.

A side note - I've not had to use ANYTHING to clear the driveway - mailbox area - yard for the last four years. Any snow we might get will usually melt away within three or four days.

Last edited:
   / HP For Snow Blower
One of my many ailments is loss of motion in my neck. I can not easily look backwards.
In the Foton I simply stood facing backwards, used a low gear and if needed I was about to disengage the blower or step on the clutch.
I've realized I won't be able to do that with the Tym unless I look at their Synchro-shuttle or whatever it's called.
The HST looks very convenient, but I'm not sure I can use it easily.
When I was looking at them in person I had to back up less than a foot to try the FEL. I was in a confined space and unfamiliar with the "feel" of the HST
so was being extremely careful and gentle with controls, but I do know I had trouble seeing directly (close) behind me and that started me thinking about
shuttle styles.
I'm thinking if I had mirrors most of my use at home would be fine but in my case shuttle may be more appropriate.
Using things on the front is not an issue as far as seeing stuff obviously.
Haven't decided yet.

/ HP For Snow Blower #18  
The latest manual shows a cruise control switch. You would be able to lock in your ground travel speed if the tractor has this.

/ HP For Snow Blower #19  
I've used plows and snowblowers on machines with manual transmission. It was my only option at the time, and I was young, and it worked well enough for this guy who didn't know any better.

But now that I've owned several HST machines, I can't even imagine wanting to go back to any manual gearbox for moving snow. Yes, it can be done, but... why would anyone want to? HST is just infinitely faster and more convenient for anyone constantly changing directions to clear parking spaces or anything other than a long/straight drive.

/ HP For Snow Blower
The latest manual shows a cruise control switch. You would be able to lock in your ground travel speed if the tractor has this.
The one I was looking at had CC. IIRC is was like a lock lever which is fine.
I have considered that in my internal debating.