HP For Snow Blower

/ HP For Snow Blower #71  
You can push in the poppet, but I suspect it's a heck of a lot easier and faster to just unscrew a fitting.

I just tried to look up the hydro oil recommended for a Foton TB504, but the manual came up in Cyrillic script, presumably Russian?

/ HP For Snow Blower
You can push in the poppet, but I suspect it's a heck of a lot easier and faster to just unscrew a fitting.

I just tried to look up the hydro oil recommended for a Foton TB504, but the manual came up in Cyrillic script, presumably Russian?
Always hard to find technical info on Fotons. Some diagrams are close, but not close enough.
That machine has separate hydraulic and trans fluid so I used what I was told was sort of universal.

I'm not risking that on the new one.

/ HP For Snow Blower #73  
That stinks, being unable to find good info on the machine specs. But when it comes to lubrication, there are a few safe rules:

1. Level and cleanliness is more important than type.
2. The sole danger in erring low on viscosity is usually increased consumption or loss, whereas erring high on viscosity can cause insufficient lubrication. In other words, err low, and increase only if consumption is higher than you believe it should be.

/ HP For Snow Blower #74  
A synthetic gear oil may be your solution. Especially if it gets *really* cold (does it get cold in Ontario? Lol.)

I'm running a synthetic gear oil in mine (snow blower), but it only gets down to -45F here.

I'm running a synthetic hydro fluid in my HST also.

/ HP For Snow Blower #75  
Congrats on your TYM T25. If you freeze yer tush off in Canada. I'd get a soft cab enclosure down the road. I know Canada can be often a touch more ruff than Montana for sure.

/ HP For Snow Blower
A synthetic gear oil may be your solution. Especially if it gets *really* cold (does it get cold in Ontario? Lol.)

I'm running a synthetic gear oil in mine (snow blower), but it only gets down to -45F here.

I'm running a synthetic hydro fluid in my HST also.
At those temperatures F and C are only a couple degrees off.
My first service where you change pretty much all fluids is at 50 hours or 1 year.
I may switch some of them to synthetic then.
I'm curious to see hwo the new machine starts in really cold weather. My old one was a fight,
and I had to keep the battery warmed, and I used a magnetic oil pan heater on that one.
I expect a brand new one to start well in the cold at least for the first winter.

/ HP For Snow Blower
Congrats on your TYM T25. If you freeze yer tush off in Canada. I'd get a soft cab enclosure down the road. I know Canada can be often a touch more ruff than Montana for sure.
Thanks.
I'm not sure we're colder here than Montana. Pretty close to the same latitude, but I never checked.
I'd love to see Montana some time. One of several States I plan to see.

I'm not that worried about a cab. Many people around me have tractors for snow removal and they survive
without a cab. It doesn't take me that long to do my driveway unless I decide to play with snow banks.

/ HP For Snow Blower #78  
It was the winter of '92-'93. We had 42" snow depth on the property. It was a REAL record winter. I had to use the PTO driven blower in stages. Blow 20" off the top - blow the remaining 20". Clearing the driveway and yard was not a whole lot of fun. More like a PITA - even with the little five foot wide blower.

Been here 42 years now. That winter was - far and away - the most snow we have EVER received.

Now we are seeing the direct opposite. I've not had to plow the yard or driveway - the last four winters.

/ HP For Snow Blower
It was the winter of '92-'93. We had 42" snow depth on the property. It was a REAL record winter. I had to use the PTO driven blower in stages. Blow 20" off the top - blow the remaining 20". Clearing the driveway and yard was not a whole lot of fun. More like a PITA - even with the little five foot wide blower.

Been here 42 years now. That winter was - far and away - the most snow we have EVER received.

Now we are seeing the direct opposite. I've not had to plow the yard or driveway - the last four winters.
We've had a couple of easy winters here too. But the snow still needs to be moved.
Our last couple years have been a few inches at a time but 3 or 4 times a week. Doesn't require
removal every time, but one a week for sure.
I'm not shy with my good vehicles that are worth hundreds, so I just smash through the pile at the
end of the driveway that's left by the municipal plow. Then get to it when I can.
P.S. I don't find snow removal "fun" either.

Last edited:
   / HP For Snow Blower #80  
I'm 81. Thirty five years ago - it was a real adventure. Specially with an open station tractor. I have a mile long gravel driveway - mail box area and yard. Part of the reason I got the 2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon ( Taco Wagon ) - it's heavy and will bust right thru eight inches of snow - no problems.

A hot cup of coffee - a touch of brandy - the big bay windows - a very comfy chair. I enjoy WATCHING the snow a lot more now.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT