HST Problem/Advice

/ HST Problem/Advice #1  

CBB

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5320N Vineyard, 1981 Deere 910, 1980 Kubota B22, 1983 Ford 1710
Hi,

I have used gear tractors for 35 years but my CK20 is my first HST.

The road crew dropped some fill off and I am in the process of spreading it with the front loader. I push the dirt down the slope but when I go to back up, the tractor stops even though I have the pedal all the way to the floor. A gear drive would just go until the wheel lost traction and started to spin. I could only get back up the hill by going forward and getting a start to POP over the little hump the tractor was stopped by. Is there something wrong with the tractor or is this how HST works? I really like the tractor but the same thing happened when I was in a wet spot and the mud was half way up the tire tread and the wheels were spinning but when I pushed the peddle to engage all wheels the tractor again stopped. Like if I had the clutch in my truck in just enough so the truck would not move but was running and in gear. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks.

/ HST Problem/Advice #2  
Am not familar with Kioti HST. I have a Kubota HSTC with 4WD. I have never had this problem when using low range and 4WD, which is what I use when pushing material around. Forward or reverse.

When driving in HIGH range, it is possible to put too much load on the tractor, either a steep hill or equipment pull, such that the tractor stalls its motion although keeps running. This reminds me to down shift, make sure I'm at 1500 RPM or above, and proceed.

You are aware that with HST letting UP (but not all the way) on the pedal is like going into a lower gear, right? Thus, in addition to being able to set RPMs high, you can simply REDUCE the pedel depression and think of it as down shifting with a gear box.

The net is that if RPMs, gear range and pedal position are proper you should not be having the problem you are describing.

/ HST Problem/Advice #3  
Hello CBB, i dont have a ck20, i believe you only have 2 gears, you should be in low for heavy loader work and on any slopes.. Using the Hst is not like a gas pedal, i assume you have your tractor locked in 4 wheel drive under your seat. Simply turn up your hand throttle up as needed for slopes or heavy mud. I have the ck30 hst and high gear is only used for flat ground . If you get in heavy mud, make sure your in low and lock the differential and use around 2500 rpms using the hand throttle . The ck 30 has 3 gears in which i switch moslty between medium and low depending how much power is needed to the wheels.. Im sure alot of ck20 owners will help you as well.. In low the ck30 is a tank.. Good luck.

/ HST Problem/Advice #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( even though I have the pedal all the way to the floor )</font>

You have to remember that the hydro pedal is not like a gas pedal. Pushing it farther down is akin to going to a higher gear while barely pushing it down is like using a lower gear. Try easing it down and then go farther down on the pedal as you gain speed.

/ HST Problem/Advice #5  
As the others have said the gear range you are in will matter. The throttle will also matter. Put the tractor in low and turn the throttle up and you should be fine.

/ HST Problem/Advice
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( even though I have the pedal all the way to the floor )</font>

You have to remember that the hydro pedal is not like a gas pedal. Pushing it farther down is akin to going to a higher gear while barely pushing it down is like using a lower gear. Try easing it down and then go farther down on the pedal as you gain speed. )</font>

Good answers. I should restate myself. Gas up all the way, low range, 4 wheel engaged and the hydro pedal just barely touched. I just took the tractor out and tried to go up our meadow, which is really steep, and I had to back down and take another way. It just does not have the power to make it up the hill. The tractor has 25 hours on it, I bought it with 18. Could it be lacking fluids or something mechanical? I am thinking I would expect the CK 20 to make it up no problem. Our Ford 1700 would and it has less hp that the CK 20. Again, good answers because I was not clear but still need guidance.
I noticed when I was back dragging with the bucket if I raised it too high so the front wheels were off the ground, it seems to have some safety feature which cuts out the power, too. As a farmer in hill country, I probably push the "safety" bubble for slopes and such but I have been doing this my whole life. Actually, having a tractor stop going up a steep slope is more dangerous because backing down in a pain. Anyhow. Help?

/ HST Problem/Advice #7  
The Ford 1700 was a gear tractor at 23 PTO HP. No way to even compare the two. If it's lacking fluids, it should never have even been started up.

/ HST Problem/Advice #8  
Take your tractor to the shop NOW, mine was doing the same thing it was fine as long as you were on flat ground but if you needed the power to go up an incline it just would not go. My tractor has been in the shop now for a month the dealer has been working with Kioti tech support have changed some parts and made some adjustments but it is still not right so they are thinking it has to be internal and are splitting the tractor. No idea when I am going to get my tractor back.

/ HST Problem/Advice #9  
Hello CBB, just curious when you climbed your meadow, do you have the backhoe on? And are all your wheels filled? I saw you have a cab as well... How steep is this hill? Im just curious if your asking alot of a 21hp tractor?

/ HST Problem/Advice
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hello CBB, just curious when you climbed your meadow, do you have the backhoe on? And are all your wheels filled? I saw you have a cab as well... How steep is this hill? Im just curious if your asking alot of a 21hp tractor? )</font>

Hi,
I checked the fluids and all is okay. The manual says it could be air cleaner or bad fuel if the engine is lacking power.
The tires are not loaded but the backhoe is on.
The incline is made by our electric golf carts no problem.
Gosh, I hope it is just fuel and not something else. It is fine on the level but...given I live in the hills, it would be pretty useless if it can't make it up hills.