Huge oak fell!

/ Huge oak fell! #31  
Just pay attention to which way limbs are "loaded". Wood acts like a big spring. A second saw is handy incase you misjudge and pinch the bar.
You really don't need a second saw but you do need a second bar and chain. :D

Usually, when I pinch the saw, I can work it out, but there have been times I have had to take the saw off the pinched bar and chain. Then I would put on the spare bar and chain to free the pinched bar and chain.

Later,
Dan

/ Huge oak fell! #32  
I heard this one pop from about 1/8 mile away (while inside my house with all kinds of storm sounds going on). I'd measured it several years ago at 5 1/2' dia. I believe it was at least 125' tall. The shards sticking up are about 30' tall. Cottonwood, so no value for anything. It was a landmark tree. Sad about it giving up the ghost: but looking at the base of the trunk it is clear that it was punking out badly and wasn't longed for the world (no signs it was in trouble when it was up). Bothered more that it wiped out several Maples (turned them really ugly). I have a lot of Maple saplings in the area and have so far managed to free many of them. Need to get out with a saw to help free up some others. Entire mess won't be able to be cleaned up until well in to summer: I'm planning on renting an excavator for other work in which case I'll use it for this cleanup. There are some other large Cottonwood trees nearby (not in pic), and while they're as tall (or perhaps taller), they're not as massive as this one was. NOTE: for a bit of scale, that's my 95 lb dog there; it's really hard to convey the scale.

IMG_20211123_152708626_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Here's what it once looked like:

Attachments

• P1110590.JPG
    P1110590.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 622

/ Huge oak fell! #33  
I need some more work to do. I looked out and this HUGE oak had fallen in the pasture. I bet it's 150 years old. I wanted wife raise be in tractor bucket but said "we'll both die" and went in house.
So I cut what I could, rolled over with tractor, cut so now all limbs off. I think I'll put a free oak firewood sign out on the road.
I bet it's 5ft across at base at least.View attachment 722550View attachment 722551View attachment 722552View attachment 722553

I cut one out of a farmers field. right at 48" butt. I got 3 cords + out of nothing but the top. I left the base log 25' about 30" at the top end. Farmper put an add on the internet and poeple came with equipment to haul it away. It was solid all the way and I didn't see any sign of rot even in the limbs I worked up. People will pay big money for a log like that.

/ Huge oak fell! #34  

Usually, when I pinch the saw, I can work it out, but there have been times I have had to take the saw off the pinched bar and chain. Then I would put on the spare bar and chain to free the pinched bar and chain.

Later,
Dan

Right there is why I run all Stihl saws. The inboard clutch makes dropping the power head off a jammed bar a snap.

/ Huge oak fell! #35  
My question for the OP... did it make a sound when it fell?

/ Huge oak fell!

Later,
Dan
This is about 52" at base (picture shows part of the root, so not accurate).
With a large strap thrown up high I rolled it over again...but cutting that limb off pinched the saw, picked up with tractor bucket which almost rolled tractor so I improvised a support with a log.
Lot of pressure, I'll have "fun" cutting that off without tree rolling on me.
20211128_122809.jpg
20211128_122949.jpg
20211128_123113.jpg
20211128_144913.jpg

/ Huge oak fell! #37  
I heard this one pop from about 1/8 mile away (while inside my house with all kinds of storm sounds going on). I'd measured it several years ago at 5 1/2' dia. I believe it was at least 125' tall. The shards sticking up are about 30' tall. Cottonwood, so no value for anything. It was a landmark tree. Sad about it giving up the ghost: but looking at the base of the trunk it is clear that it was punking out badly and wasn't longed for the world (no signs it was in trouble when it was up). Bothered more that it wiped out several Maples (turned them really ugly). I have a lot of Maple saplings in the area and have so far managed to free many of them. Need to get out with a saw to help free up some others. Entire mess won't be able to be cleaned up until well in to summer: I'm planning on renting an excavator for other work in which case I'll use it for this cleanup. There are some other large Cottonwood trees nearby (not in pic), and while they're as tall (or perhaps taller), they're not as massive as this one was. NOTE: for a bit of scale, that's my 95 lb dog there; it's really hard to convey the scale.

View attachment 722671

Here's what it once looked like:

Attachments

• P1110590.JPG
    P1110590.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 622
There's a 'bark' joke in there somewhere. ;)

/ Huge oak fell!
My question for the OP... did it make a sound when it fell?
Never heard a sound when it fell, weird because about 400 ft downhill from house.
Made really big holes in ground.

/ Huge oak fell! #39  
This is about 52" at base (picture shows part of the root, so not accurate).
With a large strap thrown up high I rolled it over again...but cutting that limb off pinched the saw, picked up with tractor bucket which almost rolled tractor so I improvised a support with a log.
Lot of pressure, I'll have "fun" cutting that off without tree rolling on me.View attachment 722675View attachment 722676View attachment 722677View attachment 722678
Man, that thing just snapped off at the base, didn't it? A few years ago a friend of mine gave me a huge maple that was about that size. It also just snapped off at the base and, unfortunately, fell on his house.

/ Huge oak fell!
I'm resting in garage in my old recliner drinking Pepsi.