Husky 545

/ Husky 545 #1  

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
I have a husky 545 that is fairly new, no been used much. It runs AWESOME, but recently it started leaking a lot of bar oil while sitting. Since it was new I have used Walmart brand bar oil. Anyone know about any common problems? Or is it just gonna be exploratory surgery time when I get a chance? My buddy has the same saw with the same problem, he always used cheap motor oil.
Thanks

/ Husky 545 #2  
Crack open the cap on the bar oil to let any excess pressure out after the saw has run. Sometimes temperature swings are enough to force oil out while the saw sits. Some saws are worse than others in this regard.

/ Husky 545
Thanks, I will do that, but I suspect the problem is something else.

/ Husky 545 #4  
Thanks, I will do that, but I suspect the problem is something else.

S 219 advice can be valid. Try it first and if not, you can use the next step. I am not familiar with the new Huskys but have used the old ones extensively. If the oiler configuration is the same on the new ones, I can tell you what I did on a 357 that leaked. Take off the clutch (it spins off clockwise). At about 5 o'clock you should see a little black thingy that leads to the oil reservoir tank and through the saw body. This is your oiler to the bar. Take it out, apply a good quality glue or gasket cement (you want to use something oil resistant) to its sealer lip. Push it back in and let it set a spell. This should cure your leak if the cap off solution didn't.

/ Husky 545
S 219 advice can be valid. Try it first and if not, you can use the next step. I am not familiar with the new Huskys but have used the old ones extensively. If the oiler configuration is the same on the new ones, I can tell you what I did on a 357 that leaked. Take off the clutch (it spins off clockwise). At about 5 o'clock you should see a little black thingy that leads to the oil reservoir tank and through the saw body. This is your oiler to the bar. Take it out, apply a good quality glue or gasket cement (you want to use something oil resistant) to its sealer lip. Push it back in and let it set a spell. This should cure your leak if the cap off solution didn't.
I figured it's something like you're saying, because over a long period of time (3 months or better) it has leaked dang near all of a full tank. I gotta make time to look at it. Crazy rotating shift at work has been keeping me busy/tired.

/ Husky 545
I sealed up the oil pick up thing behind the clutch with blue rtv. Seems to have worked. I used the saw all day Saturday and it hasn't dripped yet.
Everything on this saw seems to be engineered so well and fits together so nice. That goofy little oil pick up tube just doesn't seem as good as the rest of the saw.

Last edited:
   / Husky 545
1459561275802.jpg
Here is picture with the clutch off. You can see one place I put rtv on. since the oil pump slides into the pickup i put rtv on one half of the pump and one half of the pickup so it would be sealed when put together and not plug up the oil pump hole. The other place sealed (probably where leak is) is where the pick up side goes into the case.

/ Husky 545 #8  
View attachment 463226
Here is picture with the clutch off. You can see one place I put rtv on. since the oil pump slides into the pickup i put rtv on one half of the pump and one half of the pickup so it would be sealed when put together and not plug up the oil pump hole. The other place sealed (probably where leak is) is where the pick up side goes into the case.

Well I guess it's more at 4 0'clock (or maybe 4:30?). This has been a pain on several Husky saws. The irony is that some leak and some don't but this trick usually straightens out the problem. All they'd have to do is apply some type of sealant to all of their saws in this area and problem solved.