Oil & Fuel Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #31  
Millions of VW TDIs running around with 5w30 in their crankcases. What I run in the 2025R Yanmar engine and in our Isuzu generator driver.

In future, I plan to try to get 0w30 (probably online) M1 ESP. In past, I was getting the 5w30 Castrol for VW TDIs from the VW dealer.
Ralph, you're proposing the 'best available' solution but I'm not convinced these 40+ year old antiques need anything better than generic quality, the sort of stuff that Tractor Supply sells a lot cheaper than M1.

And - while a passenger car isn't run hard enough to exceed 30 weight oil capability, these may continually be run so hard, rototilling etc, that they can barely maintain rpm. So if it will see extreme hot weather, the 15W40 widely used in road semis seems more appropriate. Are truckers now moving to 5W30 etc for semis?

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #32  
'B' is the premium version trim. Fancy black plastic instrument panel. And I think more soundproofing panels on the left and right sides of the engine. I think instruments in place of idiot lights. Functionally - no difference.

Well, this is nice to know, I asked this question earlier in the week and got crickets as a response. Oh well.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #33  
Ralph, you're proposing the 'best available' solution but I'm not convinced these 40+ year old antiques need anything better than generic quality, the sort of stuff that Tractor Supply sells a lot cheaper than M1.

And - while a passenger car isn't run hard enough to exceed 30 weight oil capability, these may continually be run so hard, rototilling etc, that they can barely maintain rpm. So if it will see extreme hot weather, the 15W40 widely used in road semis seems more appropriate. Are truckers now moving to 5W30 etc for semis?

California,

Sure, the old Yanmar specs called out things and they back tracked and made corrections. rScotty proved that time and again. Yanmar and John Deere worked out the bugs with the 15W40 not being ideal with the 3-cly compacts. They did settle more inline with the 10W30 and 5W30 oils. I too changed and notice much less soot out the exhaust before the engine fully warmed up.

Yanmar-oils JD spec manual.png

yanmar-oils.png

yanmar-oils 2.png

Hydraulics

J20C--J20D--Hy-Gard-Compact Tractors.jpg

Attachments

• 3-CLY Yanmar-oils JD spec manual.png
    3-CLY Yanmar-oils JD spec manual.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 56
   / Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #34  
California,

Sure, the old Yanmar specs called out things and they back tracked and made corrections. rScotty proved that time and again. Yanmar and John Deere worked out the bugs with the 15W40 not being ideal with the 3-cly compacts. They did settle more inline with the 10W30 and 5W30 oils. I too changed and notice much less soot out the exhaust before the engine fully warmed up.

View attachment 689757

Thanks! Rip Van Winkle here, I hadn't seen this updated advice from Deere and Yanmar.

But that chart doesn't allow multigrade oil above 86F. Doesn't that imply that 15W40 would be preferable for operation that includes running hard in summer heat?

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #35  
Here's the non-B version of YM2210D. Simpler dashboard, simpler hood side skirts.

And here's a similar Yanmar with the B features.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #36  
California, The upper temps in the engine oil charts only make sense for AIR COOLED engiines. Alll water cooled engines see about 212 F as set by temperature difference between oil and cooling water set by 190 F thermostat.

View attachment 689757

View attachment 689754

View attachment 689755

Hydraulics

View attachment 689756

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #37  
But that chart doesn't allow multigrade oil above 86F. Doesn't that imply that 15W40 would be preferable for operation that includes running hard in summer heat?

SAE30 does all that. 40 isn't there.

/ Hydraulic and Motor oil questions for 2210D #38  
Here's the non-B version of YM2210D. Simpler dashboard, simpler hood side skirts.

And here's a similar Yanmar with the B features.
There are also YM machines ending in R that have further additions too.

YM2500R & YM3000R. I'm working with Nora to determine what that is all about. We have the part manuals, but it takes time to do a page-by-page comparison.
He's pretty sharp in finding the smallest details too. The R machines also use a slightly different logo between the eye (headlamps).

Back in the day of the Yahoo group, there was a member with a YM3000R. He had his picture taken on the machine wearing a motorcycle racing helmet. The joke was R = racing. These machines can't really break 20mph. LOL