Hydraulic angle landscape rake?

/ Hydraulic angle landscape rake? #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
How do I determine what is the best stroke length to use for adding hydraulic angle to my rake? Should I go with a stroke a few inches more than what I determine I actually need?

Thanks, Dirt

/ Hydraulic angle landscape rake? #2  
That depends.
If for some reason your rake has a solid stop at the end of it's range, a longer stroke cylinder could be destructive. However if you don't have any stops like that, then a longer stroke than you need would be OK. All you need to do is be sure the longer stroke doesn't push the rake into something/somewhere where it shouldn't go like a back tire for example.

/ Hydraulic angle landscape rake? #3  
How do I determine what is the best stroke length to use for adding hydraulic angle to my rake? Should I go with a stroke a few inches more than what I determine I actually need?

machinebuilders.net had a thread on cylinder lengths and placement for a backhoe, I found it useful when looking for the cylinder size to convert my father in-law's backblade from manual to hyd (havent done it yet, and (if he gets a FEL and a front blade this summer) I may not, but I now know that I need a cylinder that has a range of ~12 to ~26 inches depending on how I mount it...)
on the same forum was a link to a calculator to find how much force the cylinders will exert on the blade... didnt save it but if you dig it should be in the backhoe forum

Aaron Z

/ Hydraulic angle landscape rake?
Thanks for the help. I originally thought maybe 10 inch stroke would work, but now once I figured out the brackets it looks like 12 inch will get the maximum angle in both directions. I also checked 14 inch stroke,but that turned out to be too long in the retracted position and too long in the extended position to work with how I planned on placing the brackets. Once you get all the way extended with the 14 inch stroke the bracket gets to be too straight with the cylinder to turn the rake. It starts pushing the bracket instead. If that makes sense. I'll go with the 12 inch which is 22.25 inches long retracted and 34.25 inches long when extended. No problem with any stops or hitting the rear tires even with the rake fully angled.
Thanks again for the help.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Hydraulic angle landscape rake? #5  
I hope you post pics of your build. I'm wanting to do the same thing...

Pics............sure everyone likes pics. I've got the cylinder on order and will be using a broken 3pt draft link for the brackets. I'll show the dry layout and then once it's welded up. I'll also try and post pics of the complete build start to finish.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Hydraulic angle landscape rake? #7  
dirtworksequip said:
Pics............sure everyone likes pics. I've got the cylinder on order and will be using a broken 3pt draft link for the brackets. I'll show the dry layout and then once it's welded up. I'll also try and post pics of the complete build start to finish.

Sincerely, Dirt

What diameter cylinder did you order, and what size rod does it have? You don't want to get one that is to small. Not sure what size is needed for a landscape rake.

MtnVRanch, I ended up going with a 3 inch bore welded cylinder. It has a 1.5 inch diameter rod,with 12 inch stroke. I went with the welded cylinder over the tie rod cylinder for a little more clearance and a cleaner look. If everything goes well it should give the rake maximum angle both left and right.

Here's what I have so far. I am using a broken draft link for the brackets. I ground the ball of the link end down on both sides so that the cylinder clevis will fit over the ball.

The below pic shows the brackets ready to be welded. Rake in the left angle position.
landscaperakehydbrackets.jpg

The below pic shows the brackets and the rake in the straight position.
landscaperakehybracket1.jpg

I may have to heat up the front link bracket to get it a little more level, although I think it would still work the way it is. Also the rear bracket may need to be tweeked for clearence once the cylinder is in place. The only issue I can see right now is clearence of the rod cylinder on the old rake pin hole plate when the rake is angled to the right. I think this can be remedied by slightly changing the rear bracket.
Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Someone will always see something I don't. Thanks.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ Hydraulic angle landscape rake? #9  
Size seems good for a landscape rake. Do you never use your rake turned around backwards? If you do or want to be able to, then you will need to re-think your hookup above the blade. Yeah, you will probably need to raise the angle on your rear bracket. Otherwise looks like your set.:cool:

MtnVRanch, I think in the 12 years I've owned the rake I only used it spun 180 degrees once or twice at most. Its really not a problem with what I use it for now. I don't even remember what the circumstances where at the time that I spun the rake to use it backwards. I'm sure if anyone wanted to add hydraulic angle to a rear blade you would want to configure it to work either way. Good point though for someone that may want their rake to work forward or backwards.

Sincerely, Dirt