Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade???

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #91  
I fully understand. I also carefully read posts and base comments on the details offered. Whether those details are fact or not isn't for me to judge. In this case Piston only did one change. He plugged the bypass holes. His drift problem went away. I accept that as fact. Why would he lie about it. :)

Exactally what I am talking about. You claim you fully understand, then say that plugging the piston holes solved his issue and you accept that as fact. So that tells me you don't understand. Plugging the piston holes didn't fix his problem, getting all the air out the second time is what solved his problem.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #92  
Exactally what I am talking about. You claim you fully understand, then say that plugging the piston holes solved his issue and you accept that as fact. So that tells me you don't understand. Plugging the piston holes didn't fix his problem, getting all the air out the second time is what solved his problem.

Exactly! But answer this question, if the piston had holes in it, which would allow oil to pass from base end to rod end, how was the cyl able to build force or pressure. It would seem to me the oil passing thru the piston would just flow out the out port back to valve. The cyl might exhibit some regen tendencies as the pressure is equalized on both side of the piston, but it shouldnt be able to build any pressure or force.

Another thing I wonder is how long the JB weld is going to hold up before high pressure just blows it out of now plugged holes.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #93  
Another thing I wonder is how long the JB weld is going to hold up before high pressure just blows it out of now plugged holes.

Might have already happened. Wouldnt know, because those ports even if open wouldnt exhibit a leak-down problem. It would just be a lack of force (like regen as you mention)

Getting old having to watch what you type word for word, because someone wants to pick apart everything you type and lose the meaning of what I am saying.

IE: In the context of the thread I say a cylinder cannot and will not retract with faulty piston seals.

Then am asked why the OP's cylinder retracted and replacing the seals/plugging the holes solved the problem.

I say its because the cylinder still had air in it.

They say......I never said it didnt have air in it....

WTH. Why are we dancing around the facts and trying to play on every word literally. A freakin cylinder full of oil (purged of all air) cannot and will not retract. Put all the force in the world on that rod if you want. The only way it is gonna compress is if you blow hydraulic oil OUT of the cylinder somewhere. Blow the gland seal out....leak back through the valve.....blow a hose......split the cylinder barrel in two. But it WONT simply bybass the piston seals and resume happy life on the other side of the piston. Until the laws of physics are change and hydraulic fluid becomes compressible....it just aint gonna happen.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #94  
Might have already happened. Wouldnt know, because those ports even if open wouldnt exhibit a leak-down problem. It would just be a lack of force (like regen as you mention)

Getting old having to watch what you type word for word, because someone wants to pick apart everything you type and lose the meaning of what I am saying.

IE: In the context of the thread I say a cylinder cannot and will not retract with faulty piston seals.

Then am asked why the OP's cylinder retracted and replacing the seals/plugging the holes solved the problem.

I say its because the cylinder still had air in it.

They say......I never said it didnt have air in it....

WTH. Why are we dancing around the facts and trying to play on every word literally. A freakin cylinder full of oil (purged of all air) cannot and will not retract. Put all the force in the world on that rod if you want. The only way it is gonna compress is if you blow hydraulic oil OUT of the cylinder somewhere. Blow the gland seal out....leak back through the valve.....blow a hose......split the cylinder barrel in two. But it WONT simply bybass the piston seals and resume happy life on the other side of the piston. Until the laws of physics are change and hydraulic fluid becomes compressible....it just aint gonna happen.

You Sir pick my words apart, I am not picking yours. I am actually on your side thru most of this conversation. But if I question anything you say you get worked up and start making derogatory comments toward me. Obviously that's not going to change and I accept it.

I am only repeating what's stated in this thread. Originally the scarifier was drifting downward during use. Piston video'd it drifting with tractor running. He video'd it drifting with the hoses unhooked. He disassembled the cylinder and altered it. Now the scarifier no longer drifts downward.

I'm only saying we, you and I, still don't know why it was drifting do we? He made no valve repairs or replacement of hoses, connectors, etc. So what was the original problem? And if you say it had air in it, how did that happen before he tore it apart the first time? And since no other alterations were made, how is he to prevent air from entering the cylinder again?

I think discussions like this have great value. As long as we keep it civil and open minded.

I'm glad he got it working, regardless of the cause of original failure. :)

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #95  
Maybe the "word of the day" applies here: coddiwomple, to travel purposefully toward an as-yet-unknown destination. :D

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #96  
And if you say it had air in it, how did that happen before he tore it apart the first time? And since no other alterations were made, how is he to prevent air from entering the cylinder again?

:)
One can only speculate how the air got in the cyl. He could have had a fitting leaking and the cyl was able to suck air thru that leak. He could have had the pump cavitating from a low oil level, this would put air in the system. His quick attach hose assembly could be bad and dripped dry when not connected and when he hooked up the attachement, air was pumped into the cyl. I am not trying to pick apart anyones post, I too am glad he got it figured out, but plugging the piston holes isnt what fixed the cyl. In fact, if those holes went completely thru the piston, I think he might have created future problems with his jbweld fix. We will know that when hes back asking about sticky valves.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #97  
One can only speculate how the air got in the cyl. He could have had a fitting leaking and the cyl was able to suck air thru that leak. He could have had the pump cavitating from a low oil level, this would put air in the system. His quick attach hose assembly could be bad and dripped dry when not connected and when he hooked up the attachement, air was pumped into the cyl. I am not trying to pick apart anyones post, I too am glad he got it figured out, but plugging the piston holes isnt what fixed the cyl. In fact, if those holes went completely thru the piston, I think he might have created future problems with his jbweld fix. We will know that when hes back asking about sticky valves.

I agree.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #98  
Exactly! But answer this question, if the piston had holes in it, which would allow oil to pass from base end to rod end, how was the cyl able to build force or pressure. It would seem to me the oil passing thru the piston would just flow out the out port back to valve. The cyl might exhibit some regen tendencies as the pressure is equalized on both side of the piston, but it shouldnt be able to build any pressure or force.

If the flow through the hydraulic system is higher than the flow thru the piston holes you can develop back pressure and have a limited amount of force. Gravity does most of the work lowering the rippers, you only need a small amount of force to latch the rippers in place. The rippers need to be clear of the ground to latch properly, the cylinder does not develop enough force to push them through the ground or raise the box blade. This is to prevent damage to the linkage imo.

I have to say after participating in the thread that I went out and played with my box blade (same identical model) which is in good working order. It is obvious to me that the purpose of the valves or holes in the cylinder piston is to limit the force the cylinder has on the linkage. With the rippers down in the latched position the cylinder is fully retracted. If you miss the latch and drive forward the rippers will swing up instantly at the same time the cylinder is extending with the oil moving from the rod side to the back side. This will happen with the spool valve in neutral position. With the piston ports blocked if you miss the latch and drive forward as above the linkage rods are being compressed and will bend up.

All of that said the piston valves or holes (probably one way check valves) are there to protect the linkage from damage.

I have no comments about the JB weld as I have no experience with it.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #100  
If the holes in the piston contained check valves it could limit force. Much in the same manner that regen would let a cyl extend but at much lesser force. With a check the cyl would build a set amount of pressure before the cyl went into regen mode to extend. As you say, it shouldnt take much force to lower the rippers and the check valve would allow the cyl to make force to lift with out making a lot of pressure to push. It could be a way to protect from bending and breaking parts.