Hydraulic drive auger

/ Hydraulic drive auger #1  

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
I have a hydraulic driven auger attachment for my 3,500lb 19hp micro excavator. I bought it with a well worn out 12in skid steer auger. For those that dont know the skoda steer auger 12inx48in are generally 2x as thick as the 3pt versions. Skid steer auger weights about 120lb and 3pt are 70-85lbs. Has anyone actual damaged a 3pt auger with such a small 19hp machine? Il be augering in packed clay here. These hole will be for sono tubes.
So is a skid steer auger worth at least 2x the money?

/ Hydraulic drive auger #2  
Damaged an auger that heavy, no.

An auger that heavy and that size will be rough on a 19hp, do you have the hydraulic flow to run it? Skidsteer pumps are a fair bit higher than tractor, you may need a flow doubler.

/ Hydraulic drive auger
I did buy the machine from the 2nd owner and it did wear out a 12in auger and most of an 8in auger so I think it has enough hyd flow. Its def not spinning as fast as the 3pt hitch versions but it does have reverse.

/ Hydraulic drive auger #4  
I did buy the machine from the 2nd owner and it did wear out a 12in auger and most of an 8in auger so I think it has enough hyd flow. Its def not spinning as fast as the 3pt hitch versions but it does have reverse.
Were they not replacing their cutting edge?

/ Hydraulic drive auger
Sadly no. The 12in flutes are worn up about 12in from the tip. I can buy a weld on head but that's still about $300 plus teeth and other flute material I would have to make.

/ Hydraulic drive auger #6  
Sadly no. The 12in flutes are worn up about 12in from the tip. I can buy a weld on head but that's still about $300 plus teeth and other flute material I would have to make.
Can always make a shorter auger: grind and tap for a new cutting edge set. Auger cutting edges are usually under $20 each.

/ Hydraulic drive auger
I would be left with not much more than a 24in long auger. Frost depth is 48in here so I dont have much use for anything shorter than 48in.