Hydraulic flow numbers

/ Hydraulic flow numbers
More flow will allow it to flow faster, but any flow at all will turn it at full torque minus momentum.
Finally may have found something regarding torque and flow, and if I am reading it correctly, the above statement is incorrect in this case.

Screenshot 2023-10-10 7.42.06 AM.png

Direct from Digga Drilling Augers for Skid Steer Loaders

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic flow numbers #12  
They're changing both pressure and flow in those tables, which makes it look like flow has an effect on torque. But you can find any text book on hydraulics to tell you what affects motor torque.

/ Hydraulic flow numbers #13  
They're changing both pressure and flow in those tables, which makes it look like flow has an effect on torque. But you can find any text book on hydraulics to tell you what affects motor torque.
That's right, and so is what I said for any hydraulic system - "More flow will allow it to flow faster, but any flow at all will turn it at full torque minus momentum"

All flow buys you is speed. Think of a hydraulic jack lifting your car. It's flow is very low, but the pressure is still capable of lifting the car. Increasing the flow rate doesn't make it lift any more weigh, it just makes it lift it faster. Pressure provides the force, flow provides the speed.

The charts are misleading because they are advertising charts, not science or engineering charts. Their purpose is to help in comparing products so you know what to expect out of their post hole drills. They had to hold something fairly constant to make a comparison, so they unfortunately chose RPM. For most of industry, speed matters. But or a guy putting in post holes on his land....as long as the speed is reasonable, he cares more about other things.

That is why those charts aren't comparable. They are trying to help you decide, but are using different pressure, flows, RPM, and even different hydraulic motors on the two different post hole drills. That makes it confusing.
If I had hard soil with rocks and dry compacted clay and could stand to to go slow, I'd get the larger one of their drills. Otherwise for lighter soil - like good sandy loam - the smaller one is fine.

Using Post Hole Drills to do fencing on many farms and on our place - all PTO types - what really mattered more than anything was getting an auger with replaceable teeth on the bottom (twice the price!!), and being able to turn the auger real slow with high torque. Plus always wishing the darn thing had a reverse rotation like a hydraulic auger does for when it gets stuck. There just isn't much reason to spin the auger fast.
rScotty

/ Hydraulic flow numbers #14  
Wanting to get a hydraulic auger too. Friend, Mr M59, has become a stump surgeon using a Danuser stump plane on an auger. Relative cheap stump remover if you already have an auger. Several had multiple underground utility lines underneath. Using the plane and backhoe ripper he cleared deep below grade on a lot property line. He saved a boat load of money and contractor headaches doing it himself. My fencing days are mostly past but I’ll always have tree stumps. Something to consider picking an auger system. Do like the SSQA mounts that have both center and offset attachment points.

/ Hydraulic flow numbers
Just a follow-up. Placed the order today for the larger, higher torque, slower RPM auger. (2DSS w/SSQA) Digga rep said the theoretical RPM should be about 33 with my setup. Thanks for all the knowledge and advice.

/ Hydraulic flow numbers #16  
Just a follow-up. Placed the order today for the larger, higher torque, slower RPM auger. (2DSS w/SSQA) Digga rep said the theoretical RPM should be about 33 with my setup. Thanks for all the knowledge and advice.

Please post up some pics and how you like it when you get some use on it.

/ Hydraulic flow numbers #17  
fwiw we run a digga PDX ( the smallest one with a planetary set) on out 75hp tractor with pretty modest hydraulic flow and its awesome, like rScotty said its about torque, a slow hydraulic auger actually digging will work a lot better than a fast PTO driven auger spinning on the clay layer crust,

front end loader and the ability to reverse the auger are game changers.

the ability to use it as a concrete mixer as well is the cherry on top.

1705437928073.png

/ Hydraulic flow numbers #18  
Great! What size and type of bits do you plan to use.

I’ve spent considerable time studying charts and talking with salespeople who lack technical expertise and product knowledge.

Like the Digga brand. 3DSS is what told for mine 16gpm and wanting to use a stump planer. Wanted the sliding mount to offset would be helpful for use on a tractor. First sales said not available even though I’m looking at one. Then said yes but wanted to charge for both mounts and keep the fixed. Still working on getting a package put together.

The Halo and mixer options are interesting.

/ Hydraulic flow numbers
@Smokeydog

Just earth/dirt augers for me here, not really any rocks. I'll grab 4 foot, 6, 9 & 12 inch augers, and will probably just mainly use 9 and 12. Might grab a larger one for trees the wife wants to plant, this is just around the homestead, not for commercial use on my end. I ordered a 2" hex to 2" round adapter. I think the cheaper augers from tractor supply will work just fine here. We've been using just a powered 1 man auger like this without much issue other than physically lifting the power head in/out.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 10.28.34 AM.png

It will be a nice upgrade lol

I ordered from here, and the rep "Mike" was helpful both via email and phone.

They had the auger and mount (both fixed and sliding) in stock. The sliding was $140 more. I just went with fixed for my need, but did inquire about it. If you're a veteran, they threw in a $100 discount. Shipping was free and no tax. Shipped out yesterday LTL from IA, estimate delivery tomorrow in AL, I'm not sure I believe that delivery date, but at least it is in the system and en route.

I also did contact Digga via email and they were responsive as well.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic flow numbers #20  
Some hydraulic systems have only a single pump. In my case, a 2022 TYM T-25, a single pump partitions total flow into steering and implement flows. Presumably when there is no demand on the steering system, more flow is available for the implement hydraulics. I understand that earlier versions used two pumps.