hydraulic fluid

/ hydraulic fluid #11  
I don稚 use motor oil in my hydraulic system; is that what youæ±*e referring to when you say 15w-40
Depends, some units do.
We have 5 skid steers at work, all call for motor oil in the hydraulic system.
I've owned 2 zero turn mowers, both called for motor oil in the hydraulic system.

/ hydraulic fluid #12  
Depends, some units do.
We have 5 skid steers at work, all call for motor oil in the hydraulic system.
I've owned 2 zero turn mowers, both called for motor oil in the hydraulic system.

My Toro MX5050 ZTM also uses motor oil (20W50) in the hydraulic system that drives the rear wheels.

/ hydraulic fluid #13  
That’s interesting re: motor oil in the hydraulics. Learn something new every day!

/ hydraulic fluid #14  
My 1985 T5 calls for hydraulic oil but my 2001 T9 calls for 15w40.

/ hydraulic fluid
now that it is clear that my 2015 T9 takes 15w-40 in the hydraulic system. thanks roadworthy -- that is what i was thinking--- my T9 will be in a simi heated garage and i would start it and pull it out and let it warm up before plowing snow. winters in the mid west can get cold!!

/ hydraulic fluid #16  
Just to chime in a little late.

I have owned a T9 for the better part of 10 years. It sits outside in Missouri 365 days a year. When I got it, I replaced the oil in both the engine and the hydraulic system. The oil I use in the hydraulics is an inexpensive Walmart 15W40. With some wear on the seals causing a little leakage, I just top it up from time to time with the same stuff. Never changed it again. I use it to push snow off the drive and have never had an issue with the hydraulics not working, even below zero. Of course, getting that little Kubota started when it is below freezing requires my 300amp charger and really getting the glow plugs warmed up, but once it is going, a 5 minute warmup and everything is perfect.

Unless you are using the T9 over the winter in constant below freezing temperatures, I would not go through the trouble and expense of changing the oil in the hydraulic system. When Terramite was really in business, this is what I was told by their tech.

/ hydraulic fluid
thank you carl. thats the answer i was looking for!

/ hydraulic fluid
i would think once you let it warm up everything would be fine in cold weather.

/ hydraulic fluid #19  
if you put anything other than motor oil in your terramite , any of them , you will kill it . They do not run on hydraulic fluid !!!!!! the entire machine runs on motor oil 15W30 or 15W40 . Hydraulic fluid breaks down at high temps and motor oil does not and the machine runs at a little higher temp than others so do NOT put hydraulic fluid in them it will kill them there are service manuals for T5 , T7 and T9 at About | Terramite Replacement Parts | United States very handy they sell parts right there too and they are not affiliated with terramite or terraquip

/ hydraulic fluid #20  
I use a magnetic engine block heater on the hydro oil tank. And yes terramites use 15-40 motor oil for the hydro fluid. I live in Iowa we also have very cold winters. I just stick the block heater to the oil tank the night before I plan to use the machine in very cold weather and it always starts very well. If you are keeping it in a garage heated to 55 degrees you are good to go just let it warm up a little before any hard use. Hope this helps.