Hydraulic fluid

/ Hydraulic fluid #11  
Maybe we ought to study up on the differences between tradtional, synthetic, and semi-synthetic. I know I could use some more understanding. For example, what is a semi-synthetic?

/ Hydraulic fluid #12  
As a rule, I NEVER shop by cost on fluids or on filters for those fluids. When you start shopping by cost you are on the slippery slope towards eventual failure.
Compared to the purchase cost and the cost of repair, the cost of the fluids and filters is negligible.

/ Hydraulic fluid #13  
Petro Canada's Duratran XL is one of the best THFs for cold weather climates. Not many better out there, and far better than the 821 XL (IMO). It may be a little overkill for the OPs location, and difficult to source.
Good to know thanks for pointing that out I wasn't aware of it, that's why this shop is using it then being in a northern community and supplying a northern costumers ... Id like to point out that I wasn't suggesting this particular oil to OPs, I was expressing my thought process when I went out to purchase hydraulic fluid... but it is good that you pointed this out for him...

/ Hydraulic fluid #14  
Maybe we ought to study up on the differences between tradtional, synthetic, and semi-synthetic. I know I could use some more understanding. For example, what is a semi-synthetic?
Semi-Synthetic is a blend between synthetic oil and traditional oil ...

below is a copy past text from the website link below ...

Motor Oils are formulated and marketed as conventional, full synthetic, part synthetic and semi synthetic. What is the difference between synthetic and semi synthetic or semi synthetic and conventional? The difference lies in the type of base oils that are used in the formulation and this is what defines these motor oil categories.

WHAT IS CONVENTIONAL MOTOR OIL?​

The base oil used in a conventional motor oil is 100% mineral oil which is obtained through the refining of crude oil. Here the crude oil is distilled and cleaned up to produce a high-quality base oil. This is done without substantial molecular changes being made to the hydrocarbons in the base oil during the process.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SYNTHETIC AND SEMI SYNTHETIC OIL?​

A synthetic base oil is derived though the creation of new base oil components (synthesis) to produce a stronger performing base fluid.

• For a full synthetic motor oil 100% of the base oil composition contains these stronger synthesized base oil components.
  • For semi-synthetic or part synthetic motor oils (these terms are largely used interchangeably) the base oil composition is a combination of synthetic and conventional base oils. There is no definition of how much synthetic needs to be included in a semi or part synthetic motor oil.
The use of synthetic base oil can substantially improve the performance of the motor oil. Synthetic base oils

• Improve low temperature performance
  • Provide higher thermal stability or heat resistance
  • Possess better oil burn of performance or lower volatility
  • Enable lighter viscosity motor oils such as 0W-20 to be formulated
  • Can help improve motor oil shear stability or the ability to resist viscosity breakdown

WHAT IS BETTER SEMI SYNTHETIC OR FULL SYNTHETIC OIL?​

The more synthetic base oil contained in a motor oil in general the better the performance. In turn, a full synthetic motor oil formulated with a robust additive system will always be better than synthetic blends. That said a properly formulated semi-synthetic can offer performance benefits over a conventional motor oil.

HOW LONG DOES SEMI-SYNTHETIC OIL LAST?​

Adding synthetic base oil to motor can produce a stronger motor oil due to the benefit of synthetics. Depending upon the amount of synthetic in the base oil composition the semi-synthetic motor oil can be more resistant to the various factors that can degrade a motor oil. Castrol incorporates a material amount of synthetic in our part synthetic formulations to help improve oil burn off performance as well as low temperature flow. That said a robust additive system is also critical to the overall performance of the motor oil. Thus, one must consider both in judging performance. While the incorporation of synthetic can produce stronger motor oils Castrol always recommends that one follow the vehicle manufacturers recommendation for oil service and engine oil drain intervals.

/ Hydraulic fluid #16  
I never worry about how long any motor oil or hydraulic fluid will last. I let Blackstone Labs tell me, been doing that for years now.

/ Hydraulic fluid #18  
OK. So there is traditional refining from petroleum crude. We know about that. How good the traditional oil is depends on the base stock, the refiner, and additives. And it tends to be too thick in the cold and to thin in the heat.

Then there is synthesized oil from petroleum gas which which is better in all ways and costs more although it needs less additives. I get that.

And apparently if the two are mixed in ANY AMOUNT the manufacturer can call it semi-synthetic.
So why buy semi-synthetic? Where's the meat? Or is "semi" just advertising fluff?

I sure seems like there is a lot of room for advertising in hydraulic oils, and not much accountability.
rScotty

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Hydraulic fluid #20  
Has there ever been an instance of hydraulic failure due to using non branded fluid? I have never heard of one,
Are you asking about non branded oil that meets or exceeds manufacture spec's or just any hyd oil? Many tractors have had hyd components failed from using hyd oil that ""didn't meet hyd oil spec's"''. Also moisture accumulation in hyd systems can cause hyd component failures.