Hydraulic Leak..

/ Hydraulic Leak.. #1  

duke7595

Gold Member
Tractor
820 ,1520,1020 (D) 1020 (G) 1050,4020 2240
I have a 2240 John Deere that is leaking hydraulic fluid from a vent located on the under belly, there is a cotter pin in this small hole where the fluid is leaking from. Can anyone explain what the problem could be?

/ Hydraulic Leak.. #2  
That's most likely leaking from the transmission input shaft seal. Requires splitting the tractor in half to replace the seal. If it was black oil, it would be the crankshaft rear main seal.

/ Hydraulic Leak..
That's most likely leaking from the transmission input shaft seal. Requires splitting the tractor in half to replace the seal. If it was black oil, it would be the crankshaft rear main seal.
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking maybe the filter screen and hydraulic filter may be clogged causing back pressure, however, you probably are correct.

/ Hydraulic Leak.. #4  

The oil is black so must be the crankshaft main seal. What is the fix? Is it a big job?

/ Hydraulic Leak.. #5  
The oil is black so must be the crankshaft main seal. What is the fix? Is it a big job?
Same deal. Split the tractor, pull the flywheel out, replace the rear main seal. If it has a loader, it's a bit more time consuming as you need to pull the loader mounts out.

/ Hydraulic Leak.. #6  
Same deal. Split the tractor, pull the flywheel out, replace the rear main seal. If it has a loader, it's a bit more time consuming as you need to pull the loader mounts out.

Thanks for the info. Think I’ll send it to the dealer. Approximately how many hours would the fix take.

/ Hydraulic Leak.. #7  
Thanks for the info. Think I’ll send it to the dealer. Approximately how many hours would the fix take.
I don't really have a number on that.

I've split a small Kubota B7000 and put it back together in less than 2 hours, but that's a tiny tractor and didn't have a loader at the time.