HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #11  
Be sure to use real heavy chain & sprockets for that last stage ...

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH
hi Baby Grand
thanks for your advise, what do you think about my roller chain its a RENOLD #60, the breaking strength is 7500lb, the servicing load is 2200lb, the shaft holding the sprockets 26 and 10 teeth for transmission between the drum(32 teeth) and hydraulic motor, is 1 inch diameter, i think i will reduce the length to the minimum as it will be the thickness of the two sprockets to increase the load on the shaft.
transmission is 10 to 26 and 10 to 32 the middle 26 an 10 are on the center shaft the ratio is 1 to 8.32
the output load will be 1500lb*8.32=11648lb/drum radius = 5200lbs decreasing on each layer, second layer 4778.6 lbs etc this is calculated by adding half diameter of the cable of each additional layer
thanks will be glad to read your advise

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #13  
Yoseph, are you still at 13 feet per minute with all of your changes? That seems slow for a logging winch. I'm going to be doing this same project sometime in the future and I have noticed logging winches, even the smaller models, run pretty fast compared to regular winches by watching some YouTube videos. I suppose if you will be pulling monster logs all of the time it would be ok but smaller ones may leave you tapping your foot.

Last edited:
   / HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #14  
hi Baby Grand
thanks for your advise, what do you think about my roller chain its a RENOLD #60, the breaking strength is 7500lb, the servicing load is 2200lb, the shaft holding the sprockets 26 and 10 teeth for transmission between the drum(32 teeth) and hydraulic motor, is 1 inch diameter, i think i will reduce the length to the minimum as it will be the thickness of the two sprockets to increase the load on the shaft.
transmission is 10 to 26 and 10 to 32 the middle 26 an 10 are on the center shaft the ratio is 1 to 8.32
the output load will be 1500lb*8.32=11648lb/drum radius = 5200lbs decreasing on each layer, second layer 4778.6 lbs etc this is calculated by adding half diameter of the cable of each additional layer
thanks will be glad to read your advise

Yoseph-

Interesting project!
What will be the load in the chain that drives the spool of cable (last reduction stage) due to torque multiplication? From what you have here, I'm guessing it's 1500#*(26/10)= 3900#. That's almost twice your 2200# service load, which is why I'm thinking you may want a stronger chain for your final 10/32 stage.

There are 4 numbers I'd want to know:
1) Hyd motor max torque
2) Spool diameter
3) Cable diameter
4) Chain Pitch

-Jim

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #15  
Interesting project. what size cable are you planing on using? That spool looks like it will want a roller fair lead. Keep the pics coming.:thumbsup:

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #16  
It looks like you've got a good start on the winch. You can use double sprockets/chains on your final drive if a bigger chain is not an option.

If you decide to punt, check out this unit as an alternative starting point.
Surplus Center - 8000 LB PTO WINCH BASE MOUNT

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #17  
It looks like you've got a good start on the winch. You can use double sprockets/chains on your final drive if a bigger chain is not an option.

If you decide to punt, check out this unit as an alternative starting point.

Brad,
I like that idea - keeps the chain, shafting & sprockets all the same series.

Yoseph,
Assuming 3400 in# max torque & .75 pitch chain:
First reduction is 1:2.6, so with torque multiplication = 8840 in# on the lay shaft. The 10 tooth sprocket has pitch diameter = 10*.75/Pi = 2.387in. Load in the second stage chain = 8840*2/2.387= 7406#.
I'm also thinking max line pull = 3400*8.32/2.25= 12,570#.

Do you have a pull cable clutch or quick load release of some sort figured into your design? With that kind of pull you could easily get yourself in a world of hurt and need a quick way to bail if everything starts to go south.

Somebody check my math - I gotta get to work.
-Jim

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #18  

I followed the above link to the Surplus Center page. If I do the math correctly, the speed the load would be dragged, with this winch, at full 540 PTO speed, is 20 feet per minute (single layer on the drum). Would someone please verify that I did that correctly?
Does this 20 feet per minute sound appropriate, or does it need to be faster? I'd rather not run the tractor at the full 540 all the time just to feel satisfied with the speed. I could put a chain speed increaser on the input to this winch, like speed it up about double, then run the tracot at half or 2/3 rpm. I have 35 pto hp. Thanks!!!!

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #19  

I followed the above link to the Surplus Center page. If I do the math correctly, the speed the load would be dragged, with this winch, at full 540 PTO speed, is 20 feet per minute (single layer on the drum). Would someone please verify that I did that correctly?
Does this 20 feet per minute sound appropriate, or does it need to be faster? I'd rather not run the tractor at the full 540 all the time just to feel satisfied with the speed. I could put a chain speed increaser on the input to this winch, like speed it up about double, then run the tracot at half or 2/3 rpm. I have 35 pto hp. Thanks!!!!

20 ft/min does sound a bit like watching cabbage boil, especially with the engine thrumming away at PTO speed. That's 4 inces per second. I think the Farmi type winches can move along at 100 ft/min.

On the other hand, if the alternative is to carry the wood by hand or by wheelbarrow then it would be plenty fast for me.
-Jim

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #20  
29:1 gear ratio
540/29=18.62 Rev/min
D of first wrap = 4.125 + .375 = 4.5" (pitch diameter)
4.5*Pi*18.62*(1/12)=21.9 ft/min