HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #21  
Lots of numbers being thrown around. I don't know how the pitch and all affects the torque but my simple math skill are like this. 1500 inch\lbs are like 125 ft\lbs from the motor x 8 = about 1000ft\lbs on the drum. So I figure on a 4 inch drum, at radius of 2 inches, you will have 12\2 x 1000 or about 6,000 lbs of pull. So a 1000lb load on the chain and 6,000 on a cable last layer.

My own crawler, I am using 60H chain with 8800lb breaking but only 2:1 gear reduction so about 500ft\lbs of torque on the chain.

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #22  
Surplus Center - 8000 LB PTO WINCH BASE MOUNT

I followed the above link to the Surplus Center page. If I do the math correctly, the speed the load would be dragged, with this winch, at full 540 PTO speed, is 20 feet per minute (single layer on the drum). Would someone please verify that I did that correctly?
Does this 20 feet per minute sound appropriate, or does it need to be faster? I'd rather not run the tractor at the full 540 all the time just to feel satisfied with the speed. I could put a chain speed increaser on the input to this winch, like speed it up about double, then run the tracot at half or 2/3 rpm. I have 35 pto hp. Thanks!!!!

That winch is rated for 1000rpm max. If you don't have a 1000rpm PTO, a chain or belt speed increaser would be the way to go.

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #23  
I called Surplus Center and asked about the winch:
Surplus Center - 8000 LB PTO WINCH BASE MOUNT
It was made in Taiwan.
The "Clutch" is not really a clutch, it will engage only when the input shaft is stationary (i guess that's what a "dog clutch" is). If I understand it correctly, to use it I'd have to have the tractor PTO turned off in order to put the winch in "cable retract" mode. Or, if driving hydraulically, the hyd flow would have to be off.
That seems like a problem. And remember it is also really a bit slow. Even if putting a doubling chain system on the front of it, when running the tractor at 2/3 throttle, the dragging speed is less than half a foot per second (29 feet a minute).

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #24  
Honestly, I don't know you have enough motor. 13 fpm is painfully slow. Braden's site has some motor sizes listed for their hydraulic winches. I used their size for my 20,000lb winch and it's perfectly sized. Unloaded, I believe I have 30fpm, which is still very slow.

PACCAR Winch Division - Braden

Be sure to build a super strong frame which includes a plow. You must be able to anchor the winch because the tractor's brakes won't be able to hold it. Also, consider how the forces are being applied to the 3pt hitch. More than one top link has been ripped right off the transmission. No bull! When those links rip off you are looking at gears, so it's not a cheap fix.

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH
here are my last picture i finished my winch yesterday, i thank Baby Grand for his precious advice, a doubled the last stage transmission as you said:thumbsup:, now i have to add an anchor, pull is too strong, my brake are not good, i added a sliding jaw coupling to be able to unwrap the cable without to reverse the motor rotation, thanks everybody, will be glad to read your comments

Attachments

• DSCF1389.jpg
    DSCF1389.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 537
  • DSCF1390.jpg
    DSCF1390.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 560
  • DSCF1391.jpg
    DSCF1391.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 440
  • DSCF1392.jpg
    DSCF1392.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 431
Last edited:
   / HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #26  
Looks great!
Three suggestions:
1) weld up a guard to protect your hyd motor & hoses so they don't get dinged or fouled in roadside brush/stumps/rocks.
2) add two snatch blocks - one at the top cross member and one at the bottom to give yo the ability to pull from the top and the bottom.
3) weld a plate onto the the bottom crossmember and brace it with gussets to make a blade so it bites into the soil when you pull hard with it. Should work better than the brakes.
-Jim

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #27  
Looks good, and tough too! What is the final winching speed (log dragging speed), assuming 2/3 or so tractor engine rpm?

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH #28  
Nice job, Yosef.

/ HYDRAULIC LOGGING WINCH
hi baby grand, i have done what you suggest, obviously the blade anchor is strong than the brakes itself, will post the final picture tomorrow, thanks everybody, also i will give you the exact cable speed later