Hydraulic Motor for Chipper Feed

/ Hydraulic Motor for Chipper Feed #21  
retirement is nice and I I'm the boss anyway. I just spend a little less time in the shop and delegate authority. 89 and normalized by Armosphere Annealers. Go to 27 included angle. it will feed better. But then mine only gets wood, I don't know what an impact load from an errant nail or screw might do. I do know that the ground edge with the wire burr stoned off, is capable of shaving with. Have to handle the knives VERY carefully.

I also ground a chamfer on the lead in edge of the bed knife to facilitate feeding. My bed knife sits proud of the chute bolster by about 1/8" so I ground a lead in so the material has no place to hang up. That negates flipping the anvil as you only have on surface to work with.... no biggie with me.

/ Hydraulic Motor for Chipper Feed
I received the parts from Surplus Center (quicker than expected) and started to sketch a design. I plan to reduce the motor output by 5:1 using #40 chain and sprockets. I am confused about the control valve.
With the lever in the center/neutral position the flow goes straight thru (right port to left port)- - push in for flow to A - - pull for flow to B - - release and the valve goes to center. Not sure what the two plugged ports on top do. Will the lever have to be held to operate the motor or will I pull the lever to bypass? I am confused about the plumbing. Any suggestions?

Reggie

/ Hydraulic Motor for Chipper Feed #23  
I received the parts from Surplus Center (quicker than expected) and started to sketch a design. I plan to reduce the motor output by 5:1 using #40 chain and sprockets. I am confused about the control valve.
With the lever in the center/neutral position the flow goes straight thru (right port to left port)- - push in for flow to A - - pull for flow to B - - release and the valve goes to center. Not sure what the two plugged ports on top do. Will the lever have to be held to operate the motor or will I pull the lever to bypass? I am confused about the plumbing. Any suggestions?

Reggie

The two plugged ports are alternate in/out ports. You could open them up and plug the left and right ports.
Does your existing handle have a detent to keep it in place? I would suggest connecting the valve to that so you have a big handle in case of emergency.

Aaron Z

/ Hydraulic Motor for Chipper Feed
Feed system update: I got the parts in - - motor, flow control valve and valve. After looking at the valve and the way it operated I could not figure out how it would work in my system so I returned it and ordered Surplus Center valve 9-8464. I will not be able to reverse the motor. It will just be either off (return flow to tractor) or on (flow to flow control valve then on to motor). The valve is two position detent so it will stay where I put it.
I built a frame for the motor and sprocket and cut some brackets off of the chipper. See pictures.

Still a bunch to do like cutting the drive shaft, cutting a keyway and a square drive end. Keying the drive sprocket with a metric keyway:mad:. I plan to weld the frame to the chipper. Then - - on to locating the valves, ordering fittings and hoses. So a bunch more time. IMG_4685.JPGIMG_4686.JPGIMG_4687.JPG

Also, a guard for the chain!

Reggie