Hydraulic Oil Disposal

/ Hydraulic Oil Disposal #1  

Liquidsilver

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M5400
My bush hogging operations are late this year, but before operating in the high heat, I decided to change the fluids in my Kubota 50-horse. I don't have any problem dropping off a few gallons of used engine oil at the auto parts store for recycling...

but what do I do with 11 gallons of used tractor hydraulic fluid? Since I bought the fluid from Messicks, I don't know how the local auto parts store will feel about taking jugs and jugs of used fluid.

Anybody with suggestions where to take it?

Thanks!

/ Hydraulic Oil Disposal #2  
Take it to the auto parts store like the engine oil.

/ Hydraulic Oil Disposal #3  
I'm likely to give mine to a friend with a 40 year old backhoe. My used stuff is going to he orders of magnitude cleaner than anything thars been near that sump on the past decade.

/ Hydraulic Oil Disposal #4  
It's good to mix with diesel to get a brush fire going. Or I would take it to my mechanic who has a waste oil furnace. Not sure a parts store would take it, as they probably have to pay for disposal.

/ Hydraulic Oil Disposal #5  
The local 'tip' (waste/garbage dump?) here has a large waste oil tank.

Alternatively, all of my last hydraulic waste oil went to a farmer mate of mine who used it as preservative on their wood fencing & posts.

/ Hydraulic Oil Disposal #6  
My Dad once put cranky oil on our picnic table. It would kill him to buy some stain or preservative. That was the last time anyone ever sat on that picnic table!

/ Hydraulic Oil Disposal #8  
Check with a local garage, oil change shop, etc. They have large tanks and the used oil is picked up by a recycler. I just dropped off 35 gals of mixed hydraulic and crankcase oil at a tire/auto repair shop and they seemed happy to get it, so I guess the recycler pays them something for it.

/ Hydraulic Oil Disposal #9  
I'm likely to give mine to a friend with a 40 year old backhoe. My used stuff is going to he orders of magnitude cleaner than anything thars been near that sump on the past decade.

Same thing here. And all other waste oil gets used to light brush piles.

/ Hydraulic Oil Disposal #10  
surely your area has some kind of recycling program, bringing in used oil should be routine. that's where i bring the 12 qt engine oil & 15 gal hyd oil changes