Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid?

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #21  
I use Teflon pipe tape BUT NOT TOWARDS THE END OF THE THREADS, back about 1/16 to 1/8" from the end. You don't want tape getting in your hydraulic oil flow. Never had an issue. I also use Kubota 3 Bond sealant. It's non hardening. depends on what I have handy.
Tape works good for the original installation, BUT if you ever disassemble the fitting, a small amount of the teflon will remain in the female fitting and when a new or reused male fitting is screwed in it will push that remaining teflon into the stream. NOT a good idea.

Using tape is risky.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #23  
Yea, cleanliness with this is critical. It's why you aren't supposed to use tape. Danger of getting tape pieces in hyd fluid. PST is basically liquid teflon. Some folks don't like it but in the instrumentation world we use it all the time. Box stores have it. If you can't find it use some type of thread sealant.
Cleanliness is utmost importance for hydraulics. Granted filters exist hydraulic system and should catch the tape residue from reaching the pump. Typically if applying tape always start winding tape back two threads to assure no contamination in system(wrap right hand for right handed threads). Typically two and one half wraps will work depending on thread size less than 1”. Larger the thread double the wraps. If dealing with stainless steel use pst on top of the tape. Yes both to attain seal.
My experience on this is from paint industry where I design and fabricate paint systems. I have had my share of knuckleheads using tape incorrectly. We always train team members before embarking on the job. Teflon paste and tape does not mix well with 800 usd gallon paint. Best of luck common sense prevails when using any sealant.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #24  
If I have to disconnect a taped fitting, I wire brush any remaining strands out of the threads before retaping.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #25  
I put hoses and fittings together all the time and use a ton of Pioneer quick connects and have never use tape or sealant, the pipe threads rely on being distorted to be leak proof. My bet is you overtightened them to the point of wrecking them.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #26  
I put hoses and fittings together all the time and use a ton of Pioneer quick connects and have never use tape or sealant, the pipe threads rely on being distorted to be leak proof. My bet is you overtightened them to the point of wrecking them.
Sounds like you have gotten lucky up to this point.
If you work in the hydraulics trade on a daily basis, you use sealer though. ;)

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #27  
I just replaced a connector on the rear remote - used some Gasoila that I saw in the fuel transfer parts section at Tractor Supply. Specs on it look good. Letting it cure overnight before leak test.
Link to Gasoila - https://amzn.to/41GxTdC

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #28  
I use Teflon pipe tape BUT NOT TOWARDS THE END OF THE THREADS, back about 1/16 to 1/8" from the end. You don't want tape getting in your hydraulic oil flow. Never had an issue. I also use Kubota 3 Bond sealant. It's non hardening. depends on what I have handy.
Agreed.

In the past I've used dope and have also used tape on threaded pipe connections.

My personal observation is thin tape shreds and can make a mess when disassembling connections. I also find the liquid thread sealant dope tends to dry out and crumble with disassembly making it a worse source of contamination than tape.

If I never disassemble a connection then it doesn't really matter which I use.

My preference is using thick tape and avoid the end threads.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #29  
I like the blue teflon tape myself. It's thicker and wider and harder to find as well. When I do find it I tend to buy a thick roll.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #30  
I use Teflon tape and have not seen any issues whether on water, air or hydraulics.