Hydraulic top link advice needed

/ Hydraulic top link advice needed #1  

Stihlrunner

Silver Member
Hi,

I need some advice on a top link purchase. I have a Jinma 284 with rear remotes and Cat I. I would like to purchase a hydraulic top link but I'm not sure what to look for. I assume I need another joystick to control it?

Can this be purchased in kit form or do I need to purchase each componenent separately? Going by the top link I have now, something in the 20" retracted length would fit.

As always, thanks for the input!

/ Hydraulic top link advice needed #2  
Hi,

I need some advice on a top link purchase. I have a Jinma 284 with rear remotes and Cat I. I would like to purchase a hydraulic top link but I'm not sure what to look for. I assume I need another joystick to control it?

Can this be purchased in kit form or do I need to purchase each componenent separately? Going by the top link I have now, something in the 20" retracted length would fit.

As always, thanks for the input!

You need rear remotes to run the toplink. IF you dont have a set of them, you need to install a set.

Once that is done, a member here makes the Top and Tilt kits. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/members/mtnviewranch.html

I dont have one, and dont have remotes either, but I hear they are top notch kits. And he is a well known and respected member here.:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic top link advice needed #3  
Get ahold of brian at Fit-rite-hydralics, and he will fix you up. he is a member here, i think he goes by mtnview ranch. I have one of his cylinders, very good to do business with . . .John

/ Hydraulic top link advice needed #4  
I need some advice on a top link purchase. I have a Jinma 284 with rear remotes and Cat I.
You used "remotes" in the plural. Please confirm that you mean no less than two. That's what it takes to run a HTL; one supply, one return. And if you actually do have such a pair, there should already be a control valve for them somewhere on the tractor. I've never heard of two-way remotes installed without a control valve of some kind. But if you've only got one individual remote, that's a different kettle of fish.

//greg//

/ Hydraulic top link advice needed #5  
You used "remotes" in the plural. Please confirm that you mean no less than two. That's what it takes to run a HTL; one supply, one return. And if you actually do have such a pair, there should already be a control valve for them somewhere on the tractor. I've never heard of two-way remotes installed without a control valve of some kind. But if you've only got one individual remote, that's a different kettle of fish.

//greg//

I totally missed that in his post. But yes, if you have a pair, side by side, of quick disconnect looking fittings, that is remotes. Trace back where each of those hydraulic hoses are going. It should go to a valve somewhere.:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic top link advice needed
Ok, there are two remote ports in the rear. One is obviously the return since it runs right into the hydraulic tank. The other hard line runs to a manifold in the front that the loader line runs into. There's no extra valve for the rear remote.

I'm guessing the lines would hook into the quick connects and then run to an independent valve body/joystick?

/ Hydraulic top link advice needed #7  
Ah, I'm guessing you bought a used tractor. That sounds like a home-made lashup. I'm further guessing that supply comes from the power beyond port on the loader controller, and what you're calling the return is the standard one-way port that has been fitted with an extension pipe and QD fitting.

But this is based upon your description this far. Someone on the spot would have to confirm that, or more details would have to be provided. I'm not gonna say it won't work as-is, but it would be useful to know if it ever worked for the previous owner. The reason I say this is the standard one-way port requires that you turn a valve in the side of the lift box (or possibly the flow control valve in front) that diverts flow away from the rear lift. It's an either/or configuration. If you hook your HTL up there, you can either use it - or the rear lift -but not both at the same time.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic top link advice needed
No, I bought it brand new. It's pretty obviously factory....all hardlined in clamps, etc.

/ Hydraulic top link advice needed #9  
Any pics of that setup?

If there is no valve, and only one is supply and the other runs direct back to tank, I agree that it wont work as is for a HTL without some other valve, otherwise your cylinder would only be power BOTH ways.

It sounds like it was possibly setup to run an implement with a Hydraulic motor?? or possible something with its own valve like a logsplitter or backhoe?

/ Hydraulic top link advice needed #10  
No, I bought it brand new. It's pretty obviously factory....all hardlined in clamps, etc.
In what country? I ask, because I don't recall seeing anything like that on small Jinmas coming into the USA.

//greg//