Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself.

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
My father was running the Kubota L3560 today and had the ball end of the hydraulic cylinder decide that it wanted to live free... so it escaped its life of bandage.

So, can I buy a universal weld on ball and cage?

My father is something else. He can break an agricultural machine designed to last 60 to 80 years in what.... 9 months? Impressive to say the least! I told him that the ball that was in there was not meant to be removable... he said "Nonsense! Just look at it, it comes right out of there with almost no effort!".

Don't loan him your favorite dog or truck! View attachment 740492View attachment 740493View attachment 740494
20220405_163004.jpg

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #2  
My father was running the Kubota L3560 today and had the ball end of the hydraulic cylinder decide that it wanted to live free... so it escaped its life of bandage.

So, can I buy a universal weld on ball and cage?

My father is something else. He can break an agricultural machine designed to last 60 to 80 years in what.... 9 months? Impressive to say the least! I told him that the ball that was in there was not meant to be removable... he said "Nonsense! Just look at it, it comes right out of there with almost no effort!".

Don't loan him your favorite dog or truck! View attachment 740492View attachment 740493View attachment 740494View attachment 740495

Looks like a really thin cross section on the broken one.

The 3/4" bore would be for a CAT1 toplink. Not sure what CAT yours is.

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #3  
TSC has them, so does Rural King and Agri-Supply. I've popped a few in the past myself. Nothing lasts forever... :p

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself.
I found this with the googles.

27777251000352.jpg

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #5  
I had a cat 2 do that one time, just welded another one on.

Yep. I think I'll order that one above and glue it on with the hot metal glue gun.

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #7  
You can get them with recessed grease fittings too, but you have to look for them. Whack the old one off with a chop saw and stick a new one on with a Ford tool.... Just make sure you extend the rod fully so you don't screw up the seals on the cylinder.

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #8  
What was he doing when it liberated itself?

Some implements (I know my quick hitch comes close) can actually bind at some point in the 3PH's range of motion. Mine comes close when the hitch is raised all the way and the toplink is fully extended. The frame of the quick hitch almost contacts the cylinder rod. Which is a fair bit larger in diameter and has more range of motion than the OEM threaded toplink.

What was he doing when it liberated itself?

Some implements (I know my quick hitch comes close) can actually bind at some point in the 3PH's range of motion. Mine comes close when the hitch is raised all the way and the toplink is fully extended. The frame of the quick hitch almost contacts the cylinder rod. Which is a fair bit larger in diameter and has more range of motion than the OEM threaded toplink.
Oh, it was his fault and he knows it.

He had a triaxle of dirt dropped and wanted to knock the top off and drive up onto it and push the top of the pile off the backside.

As he climbed the front wheels up, the box blade that was fully raised ended up gouging into the ground and he was pretty much stuck with the rear tires barely on the ground. So now he's screwed, can't move, and so begins to use the loader curl function to force it backwards.

During this, rear dozer blade on the box blade bit in harder rather than plow dirt and the box blade rotated under rather than cutting earth.

During this rotating under, the top hydraulic link said "No, I'm having no parts of this!" And it tore the cage open and allowed the ball to liberate itself.

I welded the new end onto the hydraulic shaft Saturday, so we will see how long it takes him to break it.... we can call him a weld tester at this point

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #10  
^^^^^^ :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: