Hydro or Gear?

/ Hydro or Gear? #71  
All the time. I don’t like using the jacks on my trailer so I set it on the hitch with the loader, I load truck pretty often, I spread topsoil against houses and pretty much touch the house with the bucket, pickup brush off grass without hurting the grass, slide pallet forks under stuff without touching it. And that’s not even getting into what I do with the backhoe.

Same here. I was just messing with rScotty.

I also do stuff like that with my geared tractor just as easily. With my backhoe I take precision stuff even further.

/ Hydro or Gear? #72  
I didn't say it was terrible. I think I even said for industrial use the TC is fine. What I did say is that TC it isn't as good as the other types of transmission for making the kind of small precise movements with the FEL that smaller tractors do all the time
rScotty

There is a reason I am apt to quote som TBN members. It relates to their short memory.
You are entitled to your opinion. Just realize that not everyone else will agree, and some readers without experience rely on others who they think have experience broader than their own.

/ Hydro or Gear? #74  
Tough crowd. :eek: Both of you!

I'd rather think that 4570Man was simply demonstrating the grammatically correct use of an elliptical sentence to break the tedium of the prosaic rules of grammar that we normally observe on this board when leveling a thinly veiled insult against another member. :laughing:

YOU AGAIN ??? :rotfl:

/ Hydro or Gear? #75  
There is a reason I am apt to quote som TBN members. It relates to their short memory.
You are entitled to your opinion. Just realize that not everyone else will agree, and some readers without experience rely on others who they think have experience broader than their own.

Agreed... which is why no one should claim an HST will do anything better than a shuttle shift gear drive. It is simply Vanilla vs Chocolate.

/ Hydro or Gear? #76  

I think that maybe we need to observe a possible difference in TC transmissions. The one in my 310 worked perfectly smooth. To be honest I’d about rather have it over the HST+ in my M59 and the HST+ is the best HST trans in the industry. The only thing gained by the HST that’s pretty nice is the crawl lever while sitting backwards. The shuttle in the old case backhoe I posted a picture of in another thread didn’t work good at all. It was similar performance to a stick in the floor geared transmission. Most forklifts are a TC transmission that also work perfectly smooth. Scottie’s backhoe has over 6000 hours. It’s best days are probably behind it. No offense to his backhoe but just saying it’s probably not an accurate indication of all of them.

/ Hydro or Gear? #77  
Possibly. But branding the type as terrible is not widely accepted as accurate. I used a Michigan wheel loader years back that had a TC transmission and no brakes. When you let off the throttle you also had no steering. That does not make torque converters, Michigan loaders or Detroit Diesel engines terrible. But that particular loader sure was.

/ Hydro or Gear? #78  
THAT'S an absolute fact on this channel for sure!!

SR

/ Hydro or Gear? #79  
^That.

On a similar...but different question...are the PTO’s on hydros (and others) gear driven “direct” (through a clutch) from the motor?
Any tractor’s have their PTO driven through hydraulics?
Would that be called a torque converter?

No. They are all gear driven. Gear driven is in the high 90s for efficiency & uses relatively simple gears. Hydraulic tops out at around 85% efficiency & requires pretty precision pumps & motors. Skid steeres & other machines use hydraulics to power impliments, but if you can use a PTO it's a fair bit more efficient.

A HST needs a small charge pump to send fluid to the actual HST pump. That small pump as well as the general hydraulic losses means a gear drive machine is more efficient at putting the power to the ground & loses less HP sitting still just running a PTO impliment. The ease & precision of control for the HST drive makes up for it in many people's eyes though.

A HST is really just a variable hydraulic pump connected to a fixed hydraulic motor. They are much more precision units than the relatively crude gear pumps used to run the rest of the hydraulics on a tractor. They share a common sump & fluid but are otherwise separate systems.

A HST system really doesnt permit any slip between the pump & motor parts. A torque converter does. They are both hydraulic systems to couple a drivetrain to a motor but are very different in operation. There are some good YouTube videos out there on how they work if you are interested. Also good & somewhat related research is open center vs closed center hydraulics.

/ Hydro or Gear? #80  
While we are batting the breeze with our favorite - and not so favorite - transmissions, it looks like the OP has moved on and never did get back to the group on what kind of tractor work he expected to do with the prospective L2501..... whether it was for mowing, tillage, or even whether he was going to put a loader on it.

As K0ua says back in post #64, that might be because he is a newby and doesn't yet know these things himself.
rScotty