Hydrogen generator to save gasoline

/ Hydrogen generator to save gasoline #1  

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
Months back when I was using electrolysis to remove rust from a snow plow a by-product of the process was hydrogen gas. The concept really fascinated me and the wheels started turning in my head.....

Now I'm wondering if any TBN members here have made a working (key word working) hydrogen generator that was able to supplement their gas mileage?

I've heard lots of claims but never actually seen one of these contraptions in action that really made a difference to an existing gas engine one way or the other.

My neighbor tells me a story of a close friend of his that made a small generator out of stainless steel washers in a PVC enclosure. Supposedly he has a simple on off switch on the dash. Once he gets on the open road the switch is turned on and it increases his mileage. When I asked how it was connected to the van engine I was told through the EGR valve. He has to turn the switch off before coming to a stop or the engine races. Fact or fiction I really don't know.

But if I thought it was possible I would be interested in experimenting with one.

/ Hydrogen generator to save gasoline #2  
Months back when I was using electrolysis to remove rust from a snow plow a by-product of the process was hydrogen gas. The concept really fascinated me and the wheels started turning in my head.....

Now I'm wondering if any TBN members here have made a working (key word working) hydrogen generator that was able to supplement their gas mileage?

I've got an invention of my own. I have an electric car, but I hooked up a generator to the electric motor. The generator charges the batteries. Once I get the car started, it never stops. Infinite mileage. Think I can get a patent on the idea? I hope that nobody has tried yet.

You do realize that your idea is no different in concept from the above silliness? It costs more energy to generate the hydrogen than you gain by burning it.

John

/ Hydrogen generator to save gasoline
John this is not my idea I merely asked a question in an open forum.. I don't know enough about hydrogen to make an opinion one way or another.

Merry Christmas.

/ Hydrogen generator to save gasoline #4  
John this is not my idea I merely asked a question in an open forum.. I don't know enough about hydrogen to make an opinion one way or another.

And the answer is still that anything like this is an attempt to evade the laws of thermodynamics.

Yes, there are lots of people trying to sell the equivalent of snake oil in these toys. It is no more than that. Sorry, I must go now though. I have an urgent letter from a Nigerian businessman to respond to. I'll be rich soon. :rolleyes:

John

/ Hydrogen generator to save gasoline #5  
There are a few websites out there that show you how to make your own. Those are the ones that I would investigate, rather than the ones that try to sell you plans or kits.

The concept is not the perpetual motion machine. The concept is the hydrogen helps the gasoline burn more efficiently, which is plausible. Not too different from a high flow air cleaner, hotter spark plugs, adjusting the timing, etc... The ones that I have seen pump the gas into the air stream upstream from the mass air flow sensor so that the computer doesn't get so screwed up trying to adjust for improper oxygen.

One guy used stainless steel light switch cover blanks and scored them to increase the surface area. It was a well documented site. I am waiting for someone here to try it before I shell out the money and time to do it myself. :)

Moss I'm curious and like you I'm not selling or buying anything here. I saw the flick that used the small stainless plates and it made me even more curious.

/ Hydrogen generator to save gasoline #7  
These hydrogen generators have been tried and they use more energy than they create. First you have to make electricity, which comes from your engine turning your alternator. Turning your alternator takes energy, meaning burning more gas. Then you use electrolysis to separate the hydrogen and oxygen from water, then feed the hydrogen into the intake system. The whole process if very energy inefficient and to really make a significant change in mileage you would need a huge alternator, making your engine burn more gas.

Snake oil is what these things are. They have been tested and found wanting--wanting your money. Instead of efficiently separating hydrogen and oxygen, they efficiently separate your money from your wallet.

Reminds me of the "100 mpg" carburetor. I first heard about these when I was a kid in the early 1950's. Every time gas prices rise, we hear about them again. Supposedly the oil companies buy up the patents in order to keep selling lots of gas. Guess what? First, they don't exist and secondly, any patents would have long since expired. Also, if they did exist, wouldn't a car maker somewhere in the world have beaten an oil company to the patent purchase in order to boost sales of their cars? And some countries don't honor western patents.

There is no magic way to increase mileage. New technology might come along, but it is not likely to come from a non-technical person working in his garage.

/ Hydrogen generator to save gasoline #8  
TSnake oil is what these things are. They have been tested and found wanting--wanting your money. Instead of efficiently separating hydrogen and oxygen, they efficiently separate your money from your wallet.

Reminds me of the "100 mpg" carburetor. I first heard about these when I was a kid in the early 1950's. Every time gas prices rise, we hear about them again. Supposedly the oil companies buy up the patents in order to keep selling lots of gas. Guess what? First, they don't exist and secondly, any patents would have long since expired. Also, if they did exist, wouldn't a car maker somewhere in the world have beaten an oil company to the patent purchase in order to boost sales of their cars? And some countries don't honor western patents.

There is no magic way to increase mileage. New technology might come along, but it is not likely to come from a non-technical person working in his garage.

I also am amazed by the 100 mpg carburetor. I can't never understand why common sense never prevails.

Engineers have had to abandon carburetors and go to electronic fuel injection, just to get where we are now, (35 mpg). Yet, going backwards in technology can net another 65 mpg? The fact is, you can only lean an engine out so much.

We never went to the moon, :eek: that's another good one.

People seem to love a good, or even a bad conspiracy.

Merry Christmas.

/ Hydrogen generator to save gasoline #9  
I was ready to do the same thing and buy a Hydrogen Kit. I asked on another forum you same question. The answer I got was quite to the point. "There's nothing out there in the line of performance/gas-mileage boosters that going to put money in anybodys pocket, except the guy that sells it to you!"

Maybe the guys that made or purchased one of these gadgets are keeping their opinions to themselves. I had hoped for at least a couple to share their experience.

I have checked a few sellers feedback that sell generators on eBay and they have great feedback. To bad we can't poll the same buyers some months or years later to get the whole story.